Incompatible formats

Bug report and feature request
bennyda
Amateur
Amateur

Incompatible formats

Post by bennyda » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:25 pm

Mediacoder should atumatically disable audio and video formats that are incompatible. Such as, when transcoding MPEG1 to mp4, AAC Lossless or iTunesencode are not compatible. It's a real pain to have to wait to the end of the transcoding process to see an error message saying the formats are incompatible.

Vijay

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:04 pm

This is reasonable. I will take this suggestion.

bennyda
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bennyda » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:04 pm

That was a quick reply. Thanks.

Vijay

Prodoc
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prodoc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:11 pm

I second this suggestion and I think it should get some priority for the sake of not loosing (more) users. I have to admit that I was already tempted to stop using MediaCoder completely. I'm not a video/audio container/codec expert so I don't know which combinations are possible. I kept getting the same standard error message a lot because of incompatible combinations. To (other) users the program will only seem very buggy this way.
I have to say that when I say priority I don't want to sound demanding. Of course, it would be great to for me too to have this feature. I just don't want to see this program being considered useless because of these problems. The program has a lot of potential, it would be great to see it will reach those and for that users are a necessity.
In addition to this a lot of unnecessary bug/support posts can be eliminated with this feature as well ;)

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:05 am

For users who are not familiar with audio/video formats, I recommend using device plug-ins. More plug-ins will come out.
It's a tough job to detect all mistaken configurations, coz there r too many combinations.

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 am

By all means use a system to suggest correct combinations, but don't restrict
it those combinations. By doing that, you give it limitations and kill any
possibility of creating/decodeing new and little known formats.
Programs like SUPER have set parameters and constant requests to add this
or allow that seem never ending. Leave it 'open' and you invite those more
advanced users to create more useful methods.
regards
Charles

bennyda
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bennyda » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:12 pm

it those combinations.
How about having an option to leave it open for advanced users such with an "expert mode" setting. For other users let the compatible formats be offered.

When I began using MediaCoder I was trying to convert MPEG1 video to iPod format. Before I discovered the Tips & Guides on the forum I tried many variations of format combos but I only got the error message at the end of the transcoding. What a waste of time that was, not to mention the hair I was pulling out :)

Sad to say I am still unable to convert to iPod, even with ver 0.5.0 pre 10. I took your suggestion, Charles, and did it with SUPER, but I would like to get MediaCoder work. It's really cool.

Vijay

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:15 pm

bennyda wrote:
it those combinations.
How about having an option to leave it open for advanced users such with an "expert mode" setting. For other users let the compatible formats be offered.

When I began using MediaCoder I was trying to convert MPEG1 video to iPod format. Before I discovered the Tips & Guides on the forum I tried many variations of format combos but I only got the error message at the end of the transcoding. What a waste of time that was, not to mention the hair I was pulling out :)

Sad to say I am still unable to convert to iPod, even with ver 0.5.0 pre 10. I took your suggestion, Charles, and did it with SUPER, but I would like to get MediaCoder work. It's really cool.

Vijay
Hi.
The settings given in 'Tips And Guides' refer to 0.3.9 1902 build and
before. As Stanley Changed the format, some will not match the new
settings setup.
That said, All the same problems now exist in 0.5.0 plus, all of which
have not been addressed to date.
Eg; settings not being saved/loaded, Aspect ratio not working correctly,
the list goes on and on.
All the questions are now the same, as with pre 0.5.0
Guess you'll have to ask the author to sort things out first.
Charles