MediaCoder FAQ (expanding)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

MediaCoder FAQ (expanding)

Post by stanley » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 am

Finally I decided to put up a FAQ for MediaCoder. I'm still adding contents to it. If you think you can contribute some items, feel free to add them (everyone can add contents to wiki). Don't worry about any mistakes. I will correct them if necessary.

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... aCoder_FAQ
When things work together, things work.

Calypso
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Calypso » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 am

Hello, I think it's a great idea to include a wikified FAQ. :) I might even be willing to help with it, after I get more familiar with MediaCoder, and if I'm not too busy with other projects.

I was just wondering, do you have an English page for the MiniWeb proejct? It's a little jarring to be directed to a Chinese page from the wiki.
~ calypso

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I have ever made some pages in English about Miniweb. I'll put it out.
It will be very nice if you can help with FAQ or any other docs. Docs are really in a lack.

Calypso
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Calypso » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Well, earlier today I fixed the link which was broken, under the commercial uses section. :) I might also edit the grammar in some of the other sections (if you don't mind), but since I just started using the app myself, it'll probably be a while before I'd feel comfortable writing any actual technical content.

One thing I've seen on other wikis, that seems to work well:

You might want to start by laying out a basic skeleton for the wiki, with subsections for the various menus and features within the app. That way, others might be more willing to help write about the sections they know about. ;)
~ calypso

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for your help and good suggestions! As English is not my mother mother tongue, I'll be very appreciated if some native speaker can fix some gramma issues for me or simply make the sentences easier to understand. :wink:

Calypso
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Calypso » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:06 pm

Sure, I'd be happy to help. :)

I really appreciate all the effort you've put into developing this app, so it's the least I can do. I haven't been able to convert my files successfully yet, but it's probably because of some options I need to change. I'll keep playing around with it.
~ calypso

Calypso
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Calypso » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 am

I added some extra structuring and other fairly basic changes to the FAQ. Feel free to revert any of the changes if you don't like them. ;)

(Posting updates here, because I'm not sure if you're getting email-notified of changes.)
~ calypso

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks Calypso. Looks nice. :lol:

Post by guest » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Stanley,

I can do some translation into French if you want (claquosse-tme a.t yahoo d.o.t fr). If Calypso could fix the English grammar of more pages, that would be nice.

I am struggling with my conversion from flv (youtube files) to xvid avi, and always get "the transcoding is not successful, check log (in expert mode) for details"

I checked the expert mode menu entry, but get no other message in the log.
I have tried for ever to tweak a whole bunch of settings, but I am getting nowhere, and I am running out of ideas. Not sure what I should do now.

Also, a suggestion. I think there should be settings/options to:
- transcode video only and stream audio
- stream video and transcode audio only
- transcode both
and also to reuse the source settings as default. so for example, if the source audio is mono 128 kbps, and the video is 25 fps, reuse that as default settings for output.

Lastly, I really liked the look of what I saw while searching your site (sorry, can't find the link again :? ), where there was a PSP (I think), and below, there were all the source file's settings on the left, and the target's on the right. That looked very intuitive to use imho.

Cheers, Chris

PS: when you run out of things to do, a Nintendo DS plug-in would be great! :)

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:22 am

guest wrote:I am struggling with my conversion from flv (youtube files) to xvid avi, and always get "the transcoding is not successful, check log (in expert mode) for details"

I checked the expert mode menu entry, but get no other message in the log.
I have tried for ever to tweak a whole bunch of settings, but I am getting nowhere, and I am running out of ideas. Not sure what I should do now.
Not all flv files will successfully convert with MediaCoder. It depends how the video was encoded or if their is some sort of protection on it. Last week, I tried to encode a video clip that was on youtube that a major television company had in there profile that I wanted (can't Name the Bloody video Conten) Cough cough. I said too much. I wasn't able to convert to the format I wanted.
guest wrote:Also, a suggestion. I think there should be settings/options to:
- transcode video only and stream audio
- stream video and transcode audio only
- transcode both
That option is already built into MediaCoder. Just have to look in the right place. Here's a clue, check Audio Tab or Video Tab and look under either encoder or codec (depending on the tab you're under). Surprise, you'll see stream copy, null audio encoder or bypass. :P

There's also an option under Transcode Menu called Transcode Audio only.
quest wrote:and also to reuse the source settings as default. so for example, if the source audio is mono 128 kbps, and the video is 25 fps, reuse that as default settings for output.
Sounds like the only time you would keep the video original; if switching to a different container or if you want a certain part of the video without the need of re-encoding. That's why stream copy was added. :?:
guest wrote:Lastly, I really liked the look of what I saw while searching your site (sorry, can't find the link again Confused ), where there was a PSP (I think), and below, there were all the source file's settings on the left, and the target's on the right. That looked very intuitive to use imho.

Cheers, Chris
Not sure what you're referring to. :?:
guest wrote:PS: when you run out of things to do, a Nintendo DS plug-in would be great! Smile
The sites I've been to (including the official Nintendo website) doesn't explain the audio/video specs of custom files it can accept. Without that, their's no way of knowing what they are. For now it's not possible, but that could change at a later time. :)