Build 4380 mencoder bug?

Bug report and feature request
velis
Amateur
Amateur

Build 4380 mencoder bug?

Post by velis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 pm

I switched to build 4380 a few days ago. x264 really is A LOT faster.
However, I again have problems with files longer than 1GB, only this time the problems are different than before.

The intermediate AVI (from mencoder) is just over 1GB (1092655 KB to be exact).

It plays only in mencoder, VLC and any DirectShow player won't display the video although all of them detect video size correctly.
Encoded with x264, profile high, level 4.0, predictor frames 7, b-frames 5, subq 9.

Source is MPEG-PES, interlaced from my video camera. Used just about all filters available in the Picture / effects (Full range levels, deblocking, deringing, YADIF deinterlacer, 3D denoiser)
The only other info of interest is that mencoder / x264 reports frame count different between 1st and 2nd pass), probably result of deinterlacing.

This is what MKVMerge reports:
# ".\tools\mkvmerge.exe" -o "T:\Arhiv\Janez kasete\Kaseta1.mkv" -A -S "C:\Temp\mctemp3184.avi" --aac-is-sbr 1 -D -S "C:\Temp\mctemp3184.m4a"

mkvmerge v2.4.1 ('Use Me') built on Dec 7 2008 02:39:32
'C:\Temp\mctemp3184.avi': Using the AVI demultiplexer. Opening file. This may take some time depending on the file's size.
'C:\Temp\mctemp3184.m4a': Using the Quicktime/MP4 demultiplexer.
Error: 'C:\Temp\mctemp3184.avi' track 0: Could not extract the decoder specific config data (AVCC) from this AVC/h.264 track.

I was unable to find any info on the reported error on the network.

AVIMux-Gui processes the file, but acces violates at the very end. Result still unplayable (file is kept, probably with missing end)

I have also played around with the file in mplayer. There were some lines of interest in the console output as I seeked to the end of the movie:
[h264 @ 0xd4a8f4]number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one
[h264 @ 0xd4a8f4]number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one

Is it possible that I misconfigured the "Predictor frames" parameter?
Or is it something else?

velis
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Build 4380 mencoder bug?

Post by velis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 am

I have confirmed that the MEncoder bundled with 4380 is still the faulty 4.2.4 version. By "faulty" I mean, it produces unreadable files over 1GB of size. Or at least I can't make it work right...

It's funny how it reports build number 29170 while the version I found to be working fine (4.2.5 reports build #28311). Mine is however a Sherpya build.

I also find it odd that MC uses the -rawvidopts parameter just with this build so it's unusable after all :(