FLV recoded to XviD, unreadable

Bug report and feature request
francoisbelouvier7
Beginner
Beginner

FLV recoded to XviD, unreadable

Post by francoisbelouvier7 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi

I had some FLV videos that I wanted to recode to XviD. Original format (as shown in properties) is vp6f video, 528x400 (about 400kbps), 25fps with MP3 64kbps/22kHz audio. Since this was something that I had repeatedly done in the past (I have used MediaCoder since 0.6.x), I've set the container to AVI,
video XviD/2-pass and audio MP3/64kbps. Unfortunately, to my surprise the outputed AVI files are unplayable by Windows Media Player. Only sound is outputed
along with an error message that the codec is missing. VLC plays the files though. My original reaction was to check if there is something wrong with the FLV
files. Having kept an older installation of MediaCoder (0.6.1.4196), I tried redoing the same files and this time output was Ok. I have tested the same files
with the following MediaCoder versions

0.6.1.4196 -> Ok
0.7.0.4399 -> Ok
0.7.2.4596 -> Failure
0.7.2.4582 -> Failure
0.7.2.4570 -> Failure

I think it is frustrating that newer versions fail to do what older versions did :roll:

One thing I noticed is that while the older versions of MediaCoder report the transcoded
files correctly as XviD, newer versions report them in properties either as odivx or
as MP4 Video (not the same for all files, although settings are the same).
In VLC's properties, the codec is listed as FMP4 (for the files that
are unplayable by WMP...)