command line problems

Bug report and feature request
smithcferg
Beginner
Beginner

command line problems

Post by smithcferg » Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi, like your program a lot.

My situation is that I am working on setting up .mpg files to automatically transcode to creative zen files from a certain directory over time, without the computer operator experiencing interference from this background process. Anything that you can do to help me make mediacoder silent in command line mode would be useful.

Three problems with command line use I have encountered:

I. Welcome screen on browser comes up when mediacoder is being used from the command line. This is problematic and destroys some benefit of command line usage.

II. Gui sometimes comes up, even when not called. This has happened while running a batch file with this line:
d:\mediacoder\mediacoder.exe -start -exit -preset %CD%\mediacoder-vidredo2zen-xvidavi-subs.xml %mpgName%
When I first started using this command, mediacoder properly started in silent mode (no gui). Now it starts up all the time with gui. Is this a bug? Can you include a command line argument for -gui that specifies no gui?

III. Splash screen comes up and goes away. This is more of an annoyance, but is still distracting to computer user.

Thanks so much for this fine program. I appreciate how it is set up, how it helps simplify complicated tasks, and you have a wonderful website.

Sincerely,
Craig

smithcferg
Beginner
Beginner

Moving along

Post by smithcferg » Fri May 30, 2008 10:39 pm

I found the setting that eliminates the splash. This works for me. Cross problem III off the list.

I also found a setting called noWelcome, which had the number 4112 (the build number of mediacoder I am using?) I tried changing value to "true", but after I deleted cookies for firefox and restarted mediacoder the welcome screen came up again. Either way, noWelcome setting doesn't seem to work, at least doesn't keep the welcome screen away. And I delete my cookies a lot.

Troubleshooting ui running in command line mode:
I used an xml editor to eliminate the ui key for "mode->advanced" in the preset I am using.
I restarted mediacoder from the start menu, changed it's ui to "simple mode", reverted all settings, and closed it. Now I ran the batch file with mediacoder and its adjusted preset. The ui came up again in "simple mode". I am not using the -gui command line argument. Why does the ui start now when called from the command line when earlier it ran silently (no ui)?

Take care,

Craig

trog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 am

I have noticed this too.

I had the "noWelcome" key defined in a prefs.xml file in v0.6.0 build 3998 where it works happily working.

I recently upgraded to v0.6.1 build 4112 and now it appears to no longer work. I have changed the value of that key to '4112' (thinking that might be what is needed) but still no go.

--
trog

jordan23
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jordan23 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Anything that you can do to help me make mediacoder silent in command line mode would be useful.

fluor
Amateur
Amateur

Post by fluor » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 am

any news on this subject?

I also have the following setup "Vista SP1". and each time I start mediacoder.exe, it pops up with Thanks for using mediacoder. I have checked the "Do not show this page on next startup ", but nothing changes. It just keep coming back every time I start it.. (by the way, it would be nice if you fixed the registry error too)

I use the following command-line:

Code: Select all

\Util\MediaCoder\mediacoder.exe -start -exit -preset "\Util\MediaCoder\presets\Video Presets\mypreset.xml" c:\vids\input.AVI
that seem to work okay, except that I still get the annoying Welcome every time.