Dual Core for Encoding MP3

Bug report and feature request
DJ-DEJ
Beginner
Beginner

Dual Core for Encoding MP3

Post by DJ-DEJ » Tue May 20, 2008 7:02 am

Hello,

I need a patch for encoding MP3 using 2 cores of my Core2Duo.
Actually, 1 core work for LAME MP3.
I Essentially transcode Albums, but LAME MP3 is not dual core, is monocore.

I need a patch or update, for separate two instances of LAME MP3 for transcoding 2 files in the same time by LAME MP3.

(Two or more, because actualy exist a Quad Core)

Thanks for Programmers

(Sorry for my bad English)
DJ-DEJ

roozhou
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Dual Core for Encoding MP3

Post by roozhou » Wed May 21, 2008 6:37 pm

You don't need a patch. Just start two instances of MC or run two batch files.

DJ-DEJ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DJ-DEJ » Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 am

roozhou wrote:You don't need a patch. Just start two instances of MC or run two batch files.
When I run Two instances of Media Coder it's the same, LAME MP3 use only a Core0, the Core1 it's Inused.
When I open the Task Pannel and I set LAME MP3 for Core1, the Core1 run but when LAME MP3 finish a file (Short File, it's an album), LAME MP3 use again only the Core0.

I Think Media Coder need an update for Dual and Quad Cores.
DJ-DEJ

forart.eu
Modest
Modest

Post by forart.eu » Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

There are some projects about this:

LameQSMP
LAME MT

Btw i believe that a generic MT engine/framework (usable from any a/v codec) would be better (FFMPEG has some SMP support, but not for MP3 afaik).

An approach could be to use the forfiles command:
I use LAME for encoding on my dual-CPU machine, using a rip-first, encode-in-batch methodology. This can be done either right after the initial ripping process (while EAC is still going ripping more songs in the background) or later (over night when hundreds of songs are in the to-be-encoded batch). Here is my (Windows 2000) batch file that runs the encoding process in a low priority for any number of WAV files in a directory:

forfiles -m*.wav -c"start /low lame -k -m s -v -V 0 -b 128 -B 256 @FILE"

('forfiles' is a built-in Windows 2000 command that replaces the age-old 'for /f %i in ('dir/b *.wav') do lame_command_line.bat %i' method.)

Of course, running so many in batch causes the total time to finish to increase (I've had it go over night for six-hours when encoding many, many files), but the per-file CPU time remains the same. But, since it all occurs in the background on a low priority, you can still do accomplish other work even while the enocding process occurs--I know I do. The only caveat is that you have to set EAC to use underscores in place of spaces because LAME doesn't correctly parse spaces in the filenames, but a good renamer (I use TagScanner) will fix that after the encoding process is done. Have fun and good luck.
This method is usable for multiple files only and, of course, is not multiplatform-oriented.
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

DJ-DEJ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DJ-DEJ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:02 am

I've been tested LAME MT but doesent work correctly.

I ask about a feature request, if LAME MT doesent work, Media Coder does lunch two lame.exe and work to two MP3 transcoding at the same time ?

I very sorry for my English so bad.
DJ-DEJ

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:02 am

Which version are you using? In recent versions, audio encoding will not only reside on one processor core if you have two instances running.
When things work together, things work.

Flo89
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Flo89 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:13 pm

I use MediaCoder for a few months now and i am nearly satisfied.

But I own a Quadcore CPU and it is really annoying to run four instances of MediaCoder and adjust the settings for conversion four times (for example converting music albums from .wma to .mp3).

I know that the lame-encoder is not a multi-threaded software, but why MediaCoder cannot (or simply does not) start the lame.exe four times?

It would be much more comfortable, if there would be an possibility to set the number of existing cpu-cores (or an auto-detecting function), so MediaCoder starts autonomous the lame.exe two, three or four times with the same settings (CBR, 256 kbit/s, 44100 Hz, Joint Stereo for example).

Is there a chance that this feature will be implemented in future versions of MediaCoder?

Edit:
No Answer?