MediaCoder Refuses to Transcode AVS Scripts

Bug report and feature request
B!ink
Expert
Expert

MediaCoder Refuses to Transcode AVS Scripts

Post by B!ink » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:21 pm

As soon as I try transcode a video using AVS script (frameserver) as my input, MediaCoder fails to produce an output. Works fine when I preview or play the video. I receive the error message, "The transcoding is not successful. Please check log (in Expert mode) for details." The log file does not state the exact problem. I have the necessary codecs installed to decode the video. Here's my example script.
AVS SCRIPT wrote:DirectShowSource("Example_Video.avi")

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi BlinkN, have u installed necessary directshow filters for your input file format?
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Yes, I have installed the necessary directshow filters using K-Light Codec pack (Full Edition). Believe me, I've exhausted every method I can think of. As a test, I ran this simple AVS script through another video editing software VirtualDubMod. It was able to read and transcode to my new video format without a problem. The original input video was encoded in XviD with MP3 as it's audio. Usually I have no need to use AVS scrpting but I was doing this as a test run for myself and ran into this problem. :cry:

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Please try these to help finding out the issue:

1.switch to another version of avisynth
2. try plaing the file with video source set to avisynth (this will make mplayer to play with avisynth)
3. transcode with ffmpeg as backend
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:43 am

stanley wrote:Please try these to help finding out the issue:

1.switch to another version of avisynth
2. try plaing the file with video source set to avisynth (this will make mplayer to play with avisynth)
3. transcode with ffmpeg as backend
1. Was using AviSynth 2.57, reverting to AviSynth 2.56a
2. AVISynth was already set as my video source (this was how I was able to preview or play the video through MPlayer)
3. Was using MEncoder, switching to FFMPEG as my video backend

Final results? Same. Doesn't transcode the video. Not sure what's causing the problem. :?:

everling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by everling » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Load the Console Window (hotkey: F6) and try an encode. If there was any detailed error messages to be had, it will be somewhere in that morass of characters.

For example, when encoding with the x264 backend + avs, x264 will fail and state that it needs the video's resolution to do the job. In that case, just add the resolution in x264's "Extra Options".

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:26 pm

I wasn't using x264 as my video backend when I was doing the test. I was using MEncoder backend, then I switched to FFMPEG backend as instructed by stanley. Triggering the console window does not display any error message when transcoding from an AVS script (my original video was encoded in XviD). Where did you come up with the conclusion I was transcoding to an h.264 video?

everling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by everling » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:56 am

Where did you come up with the conclusion I was transcoding to an h.264 video?
I didn't. It was just "For example, when encoding ..."

If there were no error messages within the text in the Console Window after a failed encode, then there is no way anybody can help debug this problem. We have the input and output, but we don't know what's happening in between. Unless Stanley had diverted the normal error reporting mechanism to write to some log file.

Btw, the Logger tab in advance/expert mode never logs any error messages....

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 am

I misread what you wrote. Sorry about that. Usually I refer to the console window to give me some clue as to why some of the videos don't encode. Most of the time I have the problem resolved but this one I can't figure out since it does not display any error message other then the window that pops up after I click the start button. :)

I know not to rely on the logger tab anymore.