Failed to load Xvid

Bug report and feature request
SergeL
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Failed to load Xvid

Post by SergeL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 pm

meRobs wrote: However, I still fail to understand why you need Constant Bitrate, rather than Average Bitrate, which works!
Well, meRobs problem with Average Bitrate is that ... it is not strictly constant :)
As I already mentioned,I need to force constant (and relatively low) bitrate to play movies on an old DivX/Xvid/DVD player that has severe bitrate limits. With Average Bitrate there is the possibility that my device starts playing the film, then at a certain point there is e.g.an action scene,with a lot of sound and movement, the bitrate increases and my player starts lagging or stops altogether. It has happened in the past.

Ciao

Serge

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Wow! I didn't realise that steam-driven players still existed.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Post by AnonCrow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 am

SergeL wrote:As I already mentioned,I need to force constant (and relatively low) bitrate to play movies on an old DivX/Xvid/DVD player that has severe bitrate limits. With Average Bitrate there is the possibility that my device starts playing the film, then at a certain point there is e.g.an action scene,with a lot of sound and movement, the bitrate increases and my player starts lagging or stops altogether. It has happened in the past.
Have you selected whatever Simple/Advanced Simple Profile Level your device says it supports ?
Or set the vbvsize and vbvpeak settings yourself ?
Or only set a non-zero percentag value for xvid.vbr_curve_high to limit the peak bitrates ?

SergeL
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SergeL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 am

meRobs,
I hear that economy is not faring bad in Australia. Here the crisis bites hardly, and we desperately need to save.

AnonCrow,
no, i did not try any of those fine settings you mention. I will try as soon as I am back home (I am out for work now)

greetings

S.L.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:11 am

The error message is misleading. Only Average Bitrate, Constant Quant and 2-Pass can be selected for rate mode settings when encoding with xvid encoder.
When things work together, things work.