WAV to WMA

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

WAV to WMA

Post by milleron » Sun May 28, 2006 12:10 pm

Sorry, I can't seem to succesfully searh the forum for an answer to this question.

I'd think that converting a WAV file to an WMA would be pretty straightforward, but I cannot make MediaCoder do that. I get the failure message box about improper settings, etc.

If there's a help file or tutorial I should have read before posting, please feel free to point me to that.

Thanks.
Ron

itspete
Modest
Modest

Re: WAV to WMA

Post by itspete » Sun May 28, 2006 2:08 pm

milleron wrote:Sorry, I can't seem to succesfully searh the forum for an answer to this question.

I'd think that converting a WAV file to an WMA would be pretty straightforward, but I cannot make MediaCoder do that. I get the failure message box about improper settings, etc.

If there's a help file or tutorial I should have read before posting, please feel free to point me to that.

Thanks.
Hi.
Have a look at 'Tips And Guides'. Should help in some way.

Cheers.

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

Post by milleron » Tue May 30, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks for the tip. I looked at Tips & Guides before I posted, but I didn't notice the "audio-to-audio" section. <duh>
That should help. I'll post again if that doesn't allow me to figure it out.
Last edited by milleron on Tue May 30, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue May 30, 2006 12:40 am

Please tell me the sampling rate of your wav file.

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

Post by milleron » Tue May 30, 2006 12:44 am

Please see my edited reply. I found the audio-to-audio section.
The sampling rate is the standard 44 kHz.
I hope that with the WAV-to-WMA section I found, I can make it go.
Ron

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

Post by milleron » Tue May 30, 2006 1:23 am

OK -- there are two solutions suggested in the Guide for converting WAV files to WMA. The first one suggests using the WMA codec and results in the same error message I was getting before.
The second suggests using FFMPEG Audio Codecs. It does transcode, but it produces MP2 files which are larger than a 192kbs MP3 -- not what I was after.
I still cannot make a simple WMA file out of a simple WAV file.
Perhaps there's an application that's simpler and more appropriate for this task than MediaCoder. Suggestions?
Ron

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Tue May 30, 2006 1:21 pm

milleron wrote:OK -- there are two solutions suggested in the Guide for converting WAV files to WMA. The first one suggests using the WMA codec and results in the same error message I was getting before.
The second suggests using FFMPEG Audio Codecs. It does transcode, but it produces MP2 files which are larger than a 192kbs MP3 -- not what I was after.
I still cannot make a simple WMA file out of a simple WAV file.
Perhaps there's an application that's simpler and more appropriate for this task than MediaCoder. Suggestions?
Hi.
The second is wrong. It is an MP2 (MPEG format) as you say. My mistake.
I've changed for a better version that does allow bitrate to be changed.
This should work correctly now.

Please let me know what results you get.

Regards
Charles

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

Post by milleron » Wed May 31, 2006 9:48 am

Thanks VERY much for bearing with me on this, but it still doesn't work. With all settings EXACTLY as you describe, I still get the error message almost immediately upon starting to try to transcode.

I'm curious why the source wouldn't be "waveform/PCM" instead of MPlayer, but I've tried that setting, too, and it errors out just as fast.

If I have Media Player 9 installed, I automatically have the required codecs in place, right?

If I'm the only one who can't use MediaCoder to convert WAV to WMA, then there must be something very basic that I'm overlooking, but I can't see what it might be.

Ron
Ron

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Wed May 31, 2006 11:47 pm

milleron wrote:Thanks VERY much for bearing with me on this, but it still doesn't work. With all settings EXACTLY as you describe, I still get the error message almost immediately upon starting to try to transcode.

I'm curious why the source wouldn't be "waveform/PCM" instead of MPlayer, but I've tried that setting, too, and it errors out just as fast.

If I have Media Player 9 installed, I automatically have the required codecs in place, right?

If I'm the only one who can't use MediaCoder to convert WAV to WMA, then there must be something very basic that I'm overlooking, but I can't see what it might be.

Ron
OK.
Try
Audio TAB:
Encoder:Windows Media Audio

Container TAB:Default

Set Audio Output Container:
FFMPEG TAB:
Audio format:MPEG Layer3
Bitrate:224

This produces a WMA as well.
Let me know how you get on.

All the best

milleron
Beginner
Beginner

Post by milleron » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:18 am

1 -- the file selected is a 31MB WAV file

2 -- Audio Tab
-- Source = MPlayer
-- Encoder = Windows Media Audio
-- Resample = 44100 Hz
-- Gain = 0 dB
-- down Mix = Disabled
-- Auto = UNchecked
-- Audio ID = 0
-- Language = blank

3 -- Container Tab
-- Container Format = Default

4 -- FFMPEG Tab
-- Audio Format = MPEG Layer 3
-- Bitrate = 224 KBps

After clicking Start, the Statistics box appears with all 0's except Total Files = 1. Then, immediately, the Error box appears -- "Nothing transcoded." It suggest checking the log file for the cause, but Media Coder's not creating a log file, at least not under the name mediacoder.log.

When I check my Settings, WMA is, indeed, listed under codecs.

What in the world am I missing here? Could MediaCoder be failing because of some problem with the way my WAV files have been generated? They're created from streaming audio by a program called Total Recorder.

Thanks again.
Ron