Remove subtitles (MKV to AVI)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

alenavafer
Beginner
Beginner

Remove subtitles (MKV to AVI)

Post by alenavafer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm converting mkv to avi. The audio and video was perfectly, but I don't want the subtitles in the avi result. How I can say to MediaCoder that not copy the subtitles?

I test with the option disabled in the tab subtitle but don´t work.

In the MKV there are 2 subtitles.

Thanks

kehn
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kehn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:12 am

Let's get MKVExtractGUI and try!
Here the link for download:

Code: Select all

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI
Good luck.
:wink:
MediaCoder Lifetime User !!!

Midol
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Remove subtitles (MKV to AVI)

Post by Midol » Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm facing the same issue now.

MediaCoder is my last hope as my files won't convert to anything playable on my mvix, at all.

I just can't get rid of the subtitles. I tried using mkvextract but I don't get how it'll help? All it does is allow me to pull subtitles from the mkv container, it doesn't actually remove them... or am I missing something?

dott
Modest
Modest

Post by dott » Sat May 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Even when no subs is show in the subtitle's field on subtitle tab, the embedded mkv's subs are present and it will be used on the conversion unless you set Mode=Disabled in subtitle tab.

Other alternative is open the matroska file with "mkvmerge GUI" deselect the subtitle stream and save(start muxing) as other_name.mkv. Once you have the new subtitle-less mkv file you can open it on mediacoder and...

Note: Subtitle streams could be "S_TEXT...", "S_IMAGE...", "S_VOBSUB..." or "S_KATE..."

opus13
Beginner
Beginner

Post by opus13 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 am

I'm bringing up this ghost of a thread because I am having the exact same issue. An MKV file outputting to divx/avi is ALWAYS rendering the subtitles to the frame.

I've tried subtitle/mode = disable, but to no avail. i have even tried to minimize the size using the 'scale' slider, but that has zero effect.

quick notes:
vista x64
MC .71.4490

nmatos
Amateur
Amateur

Post by nmatos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 am

I think that was already answered in the post above for Dot.
opus13 wrote:An MKV file outputting to divx/avi is ALWAYS rendering the subtitles to the frame.
[ ]'s Nelcir.

dvestezar
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dvestezar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 am

opus13 wrote:An MKV file outputting to divx/avi is ALWAYS rendering the subtitles to the frame.
[/quote]

NO, if settings of all subtitles in MKV "defautl"=disabled and "forced"=disabled. Try play MKV before encode with mediacoder play button (MPlayer). If don't show then don't render. Why not exist subtitle MPlayer's option ?

Gringo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Gringo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,

I don't understand why this bug has not been fixed but there is a work a round.

Check here...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7716#p23587

Cheers

justwannawatch
Beginner
Beginner

Post by justwannawatch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Other alternative is open the matroska file with "mkvmerge GUI" deselect the subtitle stream and save(start muxing) as other_name.mkv. Once you have the new subtitle-less mkv file you can open it on mediacoder and... Note: Subtitle streams could be "S_TEXT...", "S_IMAGE...", "S_VOBSUB..." or "S_KATE..."
I had never come across this problem before today. I played with all the obvious options unsuccessfully (delay towards infinity, font size to 0, sub ID to crazy value). So I gave the above solution a shot and it worked. Just wanted to let others know that there is a way to get rid of subtitles (before using mediacoder).