Problem compressing DV files over 2GB

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

avw6s
Beginner
Beginner

Problem compressing DV files over 2GB

Post by avw6s » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:49 am

I have been using MediaCoder to compress home movies I've captured as DV into H.264 avi's. Whenever I try to compress a DV file over 2GB (with any codec) the file is unable to be finished. Is this a bug or do I need to change a setting?

PS. I do happen to have 2GB of system memory, is that possibly related?

SpankyRabinowitz
Amateur
Amateur

Known issue

Post by SpankyRabinowitz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:34 am

As far as I know, it's a known issue. You'll have to work around it by splitting the files to smaller than 2G chunks.

avw6s
Beginner
Beginner

Post by avw6s » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:33 pm

That is a bummer, since 2GB of DV video is about 9 minutes... It seems like a dumb limitation, I know 32bit XP limits programs to 2GB's of system memory but you shouldn't have to use it all to convert a file. Hopefully this is something that can be overcome in the future.

In the mean time, is there another program (or suggestion) that could allow me to compress larger files easily in a batch-process?

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:47 pm

avw6s wrote:That is a bummer, since 2GB of DV video is about 9 minutes... It seems like a dumb limitation, I know 32bit XP limits programs to 2GB's of system memory but you shouldn't have to use it all to convert a file. Hopefully this is something that can be overcome in the future.

In the mean time, is there another program (or suggestion) that could allow me to compress larger files easily in a batch-process?
Hi.
It's not a limitation, it's just an issue MediaCoder has to overcome.
Hopefully this will be sorted in due course.
For now.....there is FREE program that you could use called SUPER.
Location... www.erightsoft.com

All the best
Charles