Vs6.0 pre 11 Where's all the selections gone?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

itspete
Modest
Modest

Vs6.0 pre 11 Where's all the selections gone?

Post by itspete » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:19 am

Hi Stanley.

What's happened between 0.6.0 pre 10 and 11?
Where is all the Audio/Video TAB selections Gone. The ID tag is missing, although the selection should appear in drop-down. It does not. I get something silly like 128 and that's it. You can't change it in any form, even the settings menus will not allow other selections or even manual input.
The settings menu has a heap of selections missing from drop down selections like Audio and Video.
Why change it? It makes life a hell for those of use trying to give other people presets. Past presets on forum now don't work properly now.
I guess that's why there is have hardly any presets on 'tips and Guides'.
by the way, 5.1 is hardly stable. May be you should examine it.

Waiting for Users to find most bugs is like waiting for hell to freeze over.
They can only be reported is someone happens to use a feature with a bug, more so on advanced features, which almost all will never use.
Most people will only use a thing for a specific task and not look further than that, especially when it comes to music and film conversion.
If you have an IPod, PMP etc why do anything else.

Presets, should be the ground for operation allowing more users to quickly find and complete a task. If update change some aspect of this, then the entire concept falls down. People ask the same question over and over again and still those answering don't place the solutions in the 'Tips & Guides' section. Why not? Surely there is a benefit to do so.
Once again, it seems Users have to supply that as well.

Sorry Stanley. I guess I am getting tired of trying to put presets on forum to help people and finding them of little use after a short period of time.
Why you can't update once a week or 2 weeks beats me. This will give proper time to debug those features.

I am moving abroad soon, so I won't be using MediaCoder for quite some time. By then, who knows.

All the best
Charles

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 am

Something silly like 128? I think you lack some basic A/V concepts.
The 128 is the audio stream ID (all DVD VOBs' audio ID starts from 128) that is detected. Why on hell on your going to enter an audio ID that doesn't exist? If your file has multiple audio tracks, all their IDs will be listed on the audio tab as well as displayed in the summary. This is a big improvement which took me two whole days to implement.
I admit that build 3598~3610 has a serious bug that affects the Settings dialog's UI display (all the drop down boxes are messed up) but I fixed this bug as soon as I saw it and released build 3615 and 3618.
Tell you the truth, I don't care whether an individual likes MediaCoder or not and please don't tell me something like you are about to stop using MediaCoder. I'm making an application that demonstrates most possibilities and works for as many cases as possible and that's all.
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Actually, I like what you did with the Audio ID option. Much better then entering the audio track manually. Have to try this out on a DVD and see what it picks up. :)

By the way, you're default settings is selecting LAME as the audio encoder. Shouldn't it be Nero encoder?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 pm

I changed it back to LAME. Maybe MP3 is still more widely used.
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 am

Wasn't sure if that was intentional. My mistake.

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:10 pm

stanley wrote:Something silly like 128? I think you lack some basic A/V concepts.
The 128 is the audio stream ID (all DVD VOBs' audio ID starts from 128) that is detected. Why on hell on your going to enter an audio ID that doesn't exist? If your file has multiple audio tracks, all their IDs will be listed on the audio tab as well as displayed in the summary. This is a big improvement which took me two whole days to implement.
I admit that build 3598~3610 has a serious bug that affects the Settings dialog's UI display (all the drop down boxes are messed up) but I fixed this bug as soon as I saw it and released build 3615 and 3618.
Tell you the truth, I don't care whether an individual likes MediaCoder or not and please don't tell me something like you are about to stop using MediaCoder. I'm making an application that demonstrates most possibilities and works for as many cases as possible and that's all.
Thanks for those remarks.
There is still no audio stream being coded.
I tried various VOBS with multiple audio tracks and only 128 was shown. Nothing else was present or selectable, hence the report back.
What's more, if you try to delete the original video, MediaCoder crashes and exits. Opps, guess you knew that as well.

Your silly comment about basic skills is really not called for. I don't pretend to be an expert. I said that in early May of last year, if you don't remember.
Look at the presets and you'll see I have placed more than any individual around and they worked!! Ok, just like other people I may forget how to do some things and I always ask how.
If you debugged things properly in the first place there would be no need to keep releasing updates for each bug reported. No need for Users to try and keep up with the downloads. That's a fair comment.
FREE ffmpeg, mencoder, lame, Xvid and many many others. If they did what you do, there would be no codecs or any other programs of any real use. They are debugged properly. Another fair comment.
Why you won't do it, to make MediaCode the best there is, is up to you.

regards
Charles

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:54 am

i think you are going a bit overboard. a very complicated program like MediaCoder always has bugs. maybe other projects have less bugs but dont forget that stanley is working on this alone!
and instead of snapping at him for trying to eplain something to you you might just want to say: "Yes, I knew that. Thank you."
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:47 am

If I remember correctly itspete, you mentioned awhile back that you're a retired programmer. If you think the program is so buggy, why don't you fix the program yourself. The source code is available at soureforge page where anyone can make changes to the source code.

As SirAuron said, he's only one person. Cut him some slack. He's doing the best he could for crying out loud. If you are so sick of his program then don't use it. That's one less person he doesn't have to worry about complaining all the time.