Convert DVD to x264

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

fluor
Amateur
Amateur

Convert DVD to x264

Post by fluor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:55 am

Hello I have a family video on DVD and would like to convert it for local playback at my computer. The original material was lost when I upgraded from XP to Vista.

When I open the DVD in my E:\ I see a lot of Vts_(blah).VOB files and IFO and BUP files.

I have several of these DVD's that I would like to convert fast to x264 for best quality. Can this be done with MediaCoder? Those other utils seem a little complex and seem to require me to download all sort of extra add-ons.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:09 am

Yes you can, however I found only as semi-optimal way to do this:

The .vob files contain the video and audio streams so by dragging them into MediaCoder you will be able to convert them. However your dvd most likely has several .vob files so there will be one .mp4 or .mkv with let's say 20 minutes of film each. I don't know how you merge those, but for playback on the pc this should suffice.

Hope I could help you.
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

daneel
Beginner
Beginner

Maybe I can help you

Post by daneel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Try to folllow these steps:

1) Select VOB files that you want to join and encode
2) If doesn't have player for VOBs, use VLC (http://www.videolan.org) that doesn't need installation of extra codecs which is its great plus
3) Copy selected VOB files into one new folder.
4) Join them by using DVD Shrink, mentioned in very useful Helpful files topic.
5) With one joined VOB file follow "(General) FROM xxxx To AVI" topic instructions.

I hope, this will help. Let us know, please.

George[/url]

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 pm

cool, i didn't know dvd shrink could merge them into one .vob file, thx fpr the info:)
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska