mkv to avi: is there a "no re-encode if possible"

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Aki
Beginner
Beginner

mkv to avi: is there a "no re-encode if possible"

Post by Aki » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi!

New member here, and also new to MediaCoder. I was glad to have downloaded this software which has the potential of being the ideal transcoder. I tried some conversion, and by far I found it to be intuitive and excellent. Many thanks to the developer(s)...

I have a couple of question thoughs regarding its functios/features:

1. when converting, say from ogm to avi, is there an option of "no video re-encoding if possible"? this would save some encoding time (and perhaps quality) as the video file of some ogm containers MAY already be used "as is" by the avi container w/o re-encoding. samples of these are video files encoded w/ XVID. as such, only the audio will be re-enocoded, from ogg to mp3.

2. is there a way to pop-up the xvid encoder properties and work from there to customize some video transcoding properties?

Thank you very much in advance :D

itspete
Modest
Modest

Re: mkv to avi: is there a "no re-encode if possible&am

Post by itspete » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:30 pm

Aki wrote:Hi!

New member here, and also new to MediaCoder. I was glad to have downloaded this software which has the potential of being the ideal transcoder. I tried some conversion, and by far I found it to be intuitive and excellent. Many thanks to the developer(s)...

I have a couple of question thoughs regarding its functios/features:

1. when converting, say from ogm to avi, is there an option of "no video re-encoding if possible"? this would save some encoding time (and perhaps quality) as the video file of some ogm containers MAY already be used "as is" by the avi container w/o re-encoding. samples of these are video files encoded w/ XVID. as such, only the audio will be re-enocoded, from ogg to mp3.

2. is there a way to pop-up the xvid encoder properties and work from there to customize some video transcoding properties?

Thank you very much in advance :D
Hi.
1. Choose 'Video TAB' and select Format: Stream Copy.
If this fails you will have to use Xvid.

2. Xvid can be changed in the 'Settings' - 'Video Codec' section.
You may find Xvid listed in your Windows-Start-Programs listings.
If not, install something like K-Lite Codec, which will allow you to access
both the Coder and Decoder.

K1-codec (includes most codecs and MPlayer etc)
www.k-litecodecpack.com

Hope this helps
All the best
Charles

Aki
Beginner
Beginner

Re: mkv to avi: is there a "no re-encode if possible&am

Post by Aki » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:34 pm

Thanks, Charles for the reply :)
itspete wrote: 1. Choose 'Video TAB' and select Format: Stream Copy.
If this fails you will have to use Xvid.
cool.... really cool. it works. thank you so much.

actually i have been using Virtualdubmod to convert my ogm/mkv files to avi, and in the process had some semi-technical understanding of video, audio, containers and conversion. however, while virtualdubmod can do almost "everything", batch conversion through individual saves just takes plenty of configuration time, especially with ogm files, whose audio, which is in ogg, must always be converted to mp3 to be included in avi.

there is another proprietay software that can do batch conversion with ease, but comes with a price i cannot afford.

now MediaCoder has just become the most useful for me.
itspete wrote: 2. Xvid can be changed in the 'Settings' - 'Video Codec' section.
You may find Xvid listed in your Windows-Start-Programs listings.
If not, install something like K-Lite Codec, which will allow you to access
both the Coder and Decoder.

does this mean that MediaCoder use codecs (at least the free ones) that are installed in windows? i had an impression that it has codecs bundled along for its own use.

but anyways, thanks for the help :D

Added By Charles(itspete).
-------------------------------
I am of the understanding that MediaCoder is just a Front-End, a GUI providing people with the ability to setup commands to pass to Encoders
and Decoder installed on their computer. Things like MPlayer+MEncoder
and FFMPEG are FREE and under GUI-GPL rules, anything using these and
or other FREE routines must be FREE in all aspects. Hence your FREE
MediaCoder. You can't get better than FREE! :wink:
All the best