Unusable prefs.xml after selecting certain options?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

ChupoCro
Beginner
Beginner

Unusable prefs.xml after selecting certain options?

Post by ChupoCro » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Everything was working well while I was encoding a video with various Bitrate ratio parameters. Then I disabled Auto Bitrate check, enabled Max. bitrate and selected a few more combinations under Video tab but didn't start encoding of the video. Instead I enabled Auto Bitrate and Bitrate ratio again but since then the size of the encoded video was always the same regardless of % ratio parameter - 1 GB video was everytime encoded as 80 MB file and the resulting video bitrate was always about 2000.

Since I am using MediaCoder portable I unpacked the same archive (MediaCoder-x64-0.8.62) into another location and Bitratio parameter was there working OK. Then I removed prefs.xml file from the non-working copy of MediaCoder and Bitrate parameter started to work again.

The contents of the non-working prefs.xml is:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MediaCoderPrefs><node key="overall.ui.param">1552,799,-8,-8</node><node key="overall.audio.source">FFmpeg</node><node key="overall.audio.encoder">LAME MP3</node><node key="overall.video.maxrate">2000</node><node key="overall.video.autoBitrate">By Ratio</node><node key="overall.video.bitrateRatio">30</node><node key="overall.video.autoEncoder">false</node><node key="overall.video.encoder">NVENC</node><node key="overall.preview.mode">Dashboard</node></MediaCoderPrefs>
The problem with this file was there was no way of removing the:

<node key="overall.video.maxrate">2000</node>
entry using the GUI - the only way of removing that entry was to manually edit the prefs.xml file. In other words, seems as selecting certain combinations of options under video tab can cause the prefs.xml file to become unusable.

BTW, the Bitrate Ratio dropdownl list looks as:

40	<--
45	<--
Why are 40 and 45 in the wrong order? Maybe I don't remember correctly but I think there was only 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 , 80, 90, 100, 200 at the beginning and the list changed after I entered 45 by typing the numbers. I am almost sure there wasn't 45 in the list and I typed that number to see if the values that are not in the list could be used too.
Chupo