Subtitle stream is lost in MKV to MKV conversion

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

medialoader
Beginner
Beginner

Subtitle stream is lost in MKV to MKV conversion

Post by medialoader » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:14 pm

I have an MKV file with an English subtitle stream (subtitles are not on a separate file, they are embedded within the MKV file). I tried converting it to an MKV file at a lower resolution to save space. The video and audio work okay, but the subtitle track is gone. I have tried each one of 'Default Render', 'VobSub Render' and 'Subtitle Stream' in Mode under Subtitles tab, with English as the 'Language', but the output doesn't show a subtitle stream. I have left all other settings at their default values.

How do I resolve this issue and get the subtitle stream from the MKV input file into the MKV output file? I am using MediaCoder 0.8.30.5652 on Windows 8. If there's any more information needed, please let me know.

HuggiL
Modest
Modest

Re: Subtitle stream is lost in MKV to MKV conversion

Post by HuggiL » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:24 am

I'm using v0.8.31.5645 and I can get it to work properly using the "Stream Copy" mode in the Subtitles tab... I'm not even sure what version you're using because the version I'm using still seems to be the most recent one yet you've somehow listed a higher build number (5652) while having a 0.8.30 version (we're up to 0.8.31 now).
In any case, I'd suggest grabbing the latest version here as I've confirmed that it does work with it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Tips & Guides: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Older versions: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

fundamentalista
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fundamentalista » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 am

same problem here.

transcoder
Beginner
Beginner

Post by transcoder » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:48 am

i had same problem (yes in 2020 with lattest version !) with default settings for subtitles.
Fixed as Huggil said by changing, in the subtitle tab, the subtitle mode to "stream copy" + Force UTF8 encoding + set a language