Converting Mkv to avi.

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Converting Mkv to avi.

Post by guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 am

I've been looking a long time for a converter that can convert .mkv files into .avi files.

I would like to know how I can convert .mkv files into .avi files. Also, a lot of my .mkv files have dual audio, so they have to channels. How do I select the one channel and how do I disable the subtitles? I want to have a file that has one audio channel, and no subtitles. Can anyone help?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 pm

The default settings will do.
When things work together, things work.

Post by guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 am

Hi all,

Well , convert MKV to avi supposed to be straight forward but it only creatre me about 80MB ( instead of about 700 ) and it says job finished with compression 8../1

I just do this:
1) add my file
2) start

Is there somebody who can help me and tell me what menu / setting to do ?

tks. Francois - from france

Gojira
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gojira » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:44 pm

I have some MKV files as well, I can figure out how to choose one audio from the 2 available tracks, but when I try to add subtitles to the transcoded file, they never show up. I don't know what I am doing wrong. The MKV has subtitles on there and I can see them when I play my MKV in the Classic Media Player program.

everling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by everling » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:05 am

I have some MKV files as well, I can figure out how to choose one audio from the 2 available tracks, but when I try to add subtitles to the transcoded file, they never show up. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
MKV, like most modern container formats (.mkv, .ogm, .mp4), have the ability to store the subtitles in a separate data stream - which is usually text but can be pictures (like DVD's subtitles) as well. AVI, as a 15-years old container format, does not recognise this data stream and only expects one video stream and one audio stream.

The only reliable way to get subtitles into your AVI video is to embed the subtitles into the video stream - you have to reencode the video stream to include the subtitle stream. But this has the bad side-effect of making it more difficult to compress a video because it takes more precious bits to preserve the sharpness and legibility of the text. Additional disadvantages of this method is that you are limited to one language (you could put more than one, but at the costly expense of screen space) and that you cannot turn the subtitles off (due to the fact it is part of the video stream).

I wouldn't convert MKV to AVI, not without a good reason.
Audio Video Interleave wrote:AVI is considered by many to be an outdated container format. There is significant overhead when used with popular MPEG-4 codecs (Xvid and DivX, for example), increasing file size more than necessary. The container has no native support for those codecs' modern features like B-Frames. To circumvent this problem, cumbersome hacks (in a programming context) are used, causing incompatibilities in some players. Hacks are also used to implement subtitles. The highly efficient H.264 codecs use even more compression tricks, and thus are even more ill-suited to the format, particularly Main and High Profile.