to extract properties from source file to preset

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Jihemtee
Beginner
Beginner

to extract properties from source file to preset

Post by Jihemtee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 am

First of all thanks for this amazing piece of software!
(sorry if the answer is somewhere in the forum already but I couldn't find it)

My question is:
Is there a very simple feature which allows to automatically extract properties from a source file, then to save it as a preset?
I could imagine this would be somewhere on the contextual menu by right clicking on the source file.

The reason I ask this is very simple:
As I can imagine there are not better settings than the ones found on each mobile unit, what I would like to do is:
- to record a few seconds of video directly with the mobile unit.
- to send the recorded file to my pc.
- to load it as source file into Mediacoder
- to automatically extract the video file properties and save them as preset.
Doing so I can now use any video file as a source and convert it to the perfect format my mobile unit is expecting.

At the moment I can only copy the source file properties and try to create my own preset out of it. So there are a couple of chances that I will not set some parameters correctly...

Thanks
Jihemtee
(and sorry again if I miss the feature in the software or the answer in this forum)

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: to extract properties from source file to preset

Post by meRobs » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

It's a nifty idea that I believe is not currently available.
This is possibly so because (1) the properties of a source file, as seen using Item > Details of Selected File, contains far more info than is required in a Preset, (2) there are settings that each user would want to make that do not relate to the properties of a source file, (3) a Preset contains more than just video and audio parameters ....

I suggest you read the guide on Saving to a Preset in Tips and Guides (link below).
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

Jihemtee
Beginner
Beginner

Re: to extract properties from source file to preset

Post by Jihemtee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks Rob,

I appreciate you found the idea nifty.
Thanks for advises too, that's more or less what I did. In fact I don't really need this feature myself as, if still newbie, I could manage to extract the needed data from my Smartphone recorded source file, then create my dedicated preset out of it.
I own a Samsung Galaxy S, so I made two presets, one for HS264 (Galaxy S records video in HD), the other one for SD, with the proper format my unit saves its own records in this mode (720x480).
Both ones work perfectly fine and I will put them right away in your "Post your working presets here" thread.
My thinking behind is that when a smartphone has to playback a file whose format is exactly the one it records itself, we get all chances that files will be fully compatible and playing well with optimized resolution. Tht's why I was thinking such feature would be helpful and could save time to lots of beginners...
jihemtee