Mediacoder Settings for iPod color w/ Rockbox

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
line429
Beginner
Beginner

Mediacoder Settings for iPod color w/ Rockbox

Post by line429 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 am

Hello,

I just wanted to share my Mediacoder settings for transcoding videos to ipod color with Rockbox. This might work on other players if you change the resize settings. I had some problems with the available extension managers regarding format and a/v sync, so I gave up and just started doing trial and error with version 0.6.2.4255. I found some settings under the format button that made the difference.

You can change the options in Picture depending on your source (this is for a widescreen movie), and adjust the bitrates for audio & video to your liking (I used the bitrate calculator recommended on the mediacoder wiki for optimal results).

After you transfer it to rockbox, enable all the display settings (except for framerate) and use source for all the audio settings. Hope this helps!

Audio
Source: Default
Encoder FFmpeg
Resample: 44100Hz
Channel: Stereo

Audio (ffmpeg tab on right)
Audio: Format MP2
Bitrate: 128 KBps

Video
Mode: Bit-Based, 197kbps
Format: MPEG1
Container: Default
Source & Encoder: Autoselect

Video (Format Button, I only listed what I changed)
Motion estimation method: 1x
Set the slow delay flag: True
Code timestamps from input to output: True

Picture
Resize: 220x146
Crop: Disabled
Frame Rate: 29.970
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

fastlerner
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Mediacoder Settings for iPod color w/ Rockbox

Post by fastlerner » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:58 am

I'm also running rockbox on my ipod video. I tried these settings, but still no joy.

The audio plays normally but the video playback is lagging behind. Changing the option to copy the timestamp helped as now the video will periodically jump to the correct point during playback, but it's still not at all synced.

I'll keep playing with it. If anyone else has this working please post your solution.

fastlerner
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Mediacoder Settings for iPod color w/ Rockbox

Post by fastlerner » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:22 am

TIP:
Oh yeah, if you want to use a custom output like 320x176 or 320x180 (neither of which appears in Mediacoder), then save a preset. Open the preset xml file in notepad and edit the height tag and save, then re-open the preset in Mediacoder.

In the end I got tired of fiddling with it in mediacoder as I never could get the video to sync with sound. However, when I went directly to ffmpeg I got it working no problem.

ffmpeg.exe -i "SOURCE_FILE" -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128kb -ar 44100 -vcodec mpeg2video -s 320x176 -b 200kb -strict -1 "DESTINATION_FILE"

This worked great. Note that these settings are for widescreen 320x176 at 200kb bitrate. Much higher bitrate than that and the dropped frames make things pretty jerky. Not much you can do about that though as Rockbox is not using the iPod's video hardware accelleration. :( But, at least it plays and everything is properly synced.

I still have no idea what magic combination of settings you need to plug into mediacoder to equal the line above. Anyone?