HOW TO: Rip Blu Rays to 720p DivX's or H.264's

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
Krangath
Amateur
Amateur

HOW TO: Rip Blu Rays to 720p DivX's or H.264's

Post by Krangath » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Introduction:
This guide will walk you through on how to convert Blu Rays to either 720p DivX's as AVI's or 720p H.264's as MKV's,
while maintaining the original audio of either AC3 or DTS. Target file size will be either 4.38GB or 6.57GB, depending
on the length of the movie.

Requirements:
A Blu Ray movie :)
A Blu Ray drive :)
AnyDVD HD http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=An ... &aq=f&oq=l (1st hit on Google)
BDInfo http://www.cinemasquid.com/Tools.aspx
tsMuxeR http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
And of cause the crown jewel MediaCoder x64 version/build: 0.6.2.4215

Steps:
1. Make sure AnyDVD HD is loaded.

2. Insert the Blu Ray disc into the drive. The fox head will go grey for a approx 10 seconds, then if it can successfully
decrypt the disc it will return to its original colour. If AnyDVD HD detects it can't decrypt the disc, it will report that a
critical update is needed. Jump to the ANYDVD HD website and grab the latest update. Once the update is installed
AnyDVD HD should be able to decrypt the disc.

3. Now load BDInfo and click 'Browse', select your Blu Ray drive and click 'OK'.

You will now see the following window. The key information is marked by the arrows. The left arrow marking the playlist
file name and the right arrow indicates the size of the movie. In this case approx 40GB. The green arrow marks the length
of the movie. Take note of the movie name and length. Compare the movie length with the length stated on the back
cover of the Blu Ray. Sometimes the longest movie is the main movie with director commentary.
Just a little bit of background on why we need to use BDInfo. You will find that some Blu Rays store the movie in one big
file. In that case you could use 'tsMuxeR' to rip the movie file directly from the disc. They never make it easy though.
I have found on a number of occasions that the main movie file is broken down into as many as 30+ files with random
names. This is where the playlist comes into play. Also note that the playlist file can also have a random name.

4. Now load 'tsMuxeR'.

5. Now click 'add' as highlighted by the purple arrow. Browser to you Blu Ray drive, then into the BDMV folder, now into
the PLATLIST folder. Double click the playlist that we noted in BDInfo.

6. You will need to find the movie and audio tracks as indicated by the green and orange rectangles. Note that these
are not always in order. Also make sure you have the correct language selected.

7. Untick all the tracks except the audio and video tracks as indicated by the red rectangle.

8. If the audio track is an 'AC3 core + HD' or 'DTS core + HD', you will need to click the audio track, in this case indicated
by the orange rectangle and tick the box 'Downconvert ....' as highlighted by the dark blue rectangle.

9. Now select 'M2TS Muxing' as indicated by the light blue rectangle.

10. You will need to click the 'Browse' button highlighted by the green arrow. Browse to where you wish to save the
Blu Ray movie, enter a name and click save.

11. Now click 'Start', highlighted by the red arrow. OK this will take 45mins + to dump to the hard drive.

12. Once the movie has finished close 'tsMuxeR'.

13. Now the magic starts. Load MediaCoder.

14. Click the 'Add' button on the toolbar, then 'Add File'. Browse to where you saved the ripped Blu Ray and open it.

15. Now under the 'Audio' tab, tick the highlighted boxes.

16. To re-encode to an XviD using the AVI container tick and select as indicated below.

17. To re-encode to H.264 using the MKV container tick and select as indicated below.

18. Ok now we need set the resolution of the output. Click the 'Picture' tab and set the options as follows.

19. Alright now we need to do some testing to set the output file size. So jump to the 'Time' tab and set the start time to
5min and end to 10mins as highlighted below.

I have found that starting at 0mins causes problem calculating total size as there seems to be lots of low motion or
black screens, which compress more than the movie proper.
From personal experience I have found that 2hr 30mins will fit onto one DVD of 4.38GB. A movie length greater than
2 hrs 30mins set to 1.5 DVD's which equals 6.57GB. So now a bit of calculating. In this case our movie is
2hrs 11mins 13secs = 131mins 13secs. As it's less than 2.5hrs we will want the resulting size of 4.38GB. 4.38GB * 1024 = 4485.12MB.
We now divide 4485.12 by 131.25 = 34.17, which is for 1min, so now we multiple 34.17 by 5 = 170.85MB.

20. Ok so now we want to start the conversion of 5mins of the Blu Ray and see what size we get.

When the conversion is complete we need to see how close we are to the 170.85MB that we want. 21. If the file is larger
than 170.85MB then we need to reduce the Kbps under the 'Video' tab. If the file is smaller then we need to increase
the Kbps. I would suggest differences of 100Kbps.

22. Once we are close to the 170.85MB result we want, we will set the time to 00 under the 'Time' tab and click 'Start'.

If all goes well you will, in quite a number of hours, have a movie of the size we wanted. If the file is not the size you
wanted then play with the Kbps.
Good luck and happy ripping. Feel free to make constructive criticism or suggestions.

Disclaimer:
Author is not responsible for the contents ripped from copyrighted material. It's solely the user(s) responsibility on
how the contents well be handled or used. Author assumes that the copyrighted material was legally purchased by
the user(s) for private, non-commercial use only. Author does not support piracy in any way, shape or form.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:47 am

Oops :P
Last edited by ladycoder on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 am

Ladycoder, this isn't spam, in fact he/she wrote to me via PM in regard to making such guide. I'll explain myself in the next post.

Note to Admins: Please don't delete this.

Placio74
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Placio74 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am

Pretty good guide...

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 am

I see you changed your tune Ladycoder. That's okay, mistakes happen. :P

Anyway.....

Krangath wrote to me via PM asking me if it was alright to make such guide without causing any trouble to the forum. My reply to Krangath via PM was...
B!ink wrote:Hello Krangath,

You have permission to make such guide under these conditions.

Required

1. Do not provide direct download links to rippers/converters containing codes that can circumvent any copy protection.

2. Freeware or opensource program is allowed. Shareware or trialware programs is okay as long as no link is being spammed.

3. State the name of the program(s) that will be used.

4. Post guide under Tips and Guides section of the forum.

Optional but recommended

1. Everyone speaks English here for the most part. Spell check and proof read material as best as possible before posting.

Optional but not required

1. Pictures make guides look pretty and easy to follow for those who are visual learners.

2. Throw in an additional guide for importing Blu-Ray movies into MediaCoder (if possible).

If you're not sure how to structure your guide, you may use one of my guides referenced here as a starting point. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or post under the Miscellaneous section of the forum.

B!ink
:)
My replay was posted to Krangath on Wednesay, January 07, 2009 @ 8:05 pm. I haven't heard from Krangath since then and haven't given much thought about it until today. Wow, what a surprise.

Thank you for taking the time to write such guide Krangath. Must have taken you forever to write. Much appreciated.

Oh, one minor thing Krangath. I had to change the link of AnyDVD HD to point to Google instead because AnyDVD HD contains codes that can circumvent copy protection on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray media. Nothing personal Krangath. :)

If anyone else has a problem with this guide, please take it up with me instead.
Last edited by B!ink on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krangath
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Krangath » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey B!ink thanks for the appreciation and defence :)
I have an IT background and can usually nut most things out. In my line of work I have found most people either struggle with things technical or aren't really interested and are happy to follow step by step instructions. These type of walk through's take a while to create but I have been creating them for years so that cuts the time down quite a bit.
Sorry about the AnyDVD link, duh, when you mentioned it I felt like a bit of a noob.
I use the walkthrough to save my disc's as I have a number of children and have seen disc's from a disc sander in better condition than my kids leave them in.

Krangath

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:02 am

Sure can mixer.

Edit:

To Krangath:

Stuck your guide under Hall-of-Fame (formerly B!ink's Corner [Essential Guides & Tips]). You guide has been sticky as well.

:)

Krangath
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Krangath » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:36 am

Wow, I just hoped to help people and now my guide is a sticky and in the 'Hall of Fame'. Thanks for all your support.

Krangath

Luvpeaceguru
Beginner
Beginner

What about 1080p?

Post by Luvpeaceguru » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:10 pm

I'd like to transcode Blu-Ray rips to 1080p up to, say, 15GB maximum. How would you adjust settings?

Krangath
Amateur
Amateur

What about 1080p?

Post by Krangath » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey Luvpeaceguru,

Thanks for reading my post.

I had a thought while writing your reply. If 720p is 1280 * 720 = 921600, and 1080p is 1920 * 1080 = 2073600,
then 2073600 divided by 921600 = 2.25. Therefore 1080p is 2.25 times larger than 720p. So if we carried this
over to optimal output sizes, a movie length of less than 2.5hrs at 1080p would be 4485.12 * 2.25 = 10091.52MB, = 9.855GB or ~10GB.
A movie length of greater than 2.5hrs would result in 6.57GB * 1024 = 6727.68MB * 2.25 = 15137.28MB, = 14.7825GB or ~15GB.

Ok you would need to follow the instructions up until 'Step 18', where you set the resolution. Set this to
'1920x1080'. Follow 'Step 19', but your calculations would be as follows:

Movie Length less than 2.5hrs:

10GB * 1024 = 1024MB. You would now divide 1024 by the movie length in minutes. Use my example of 131.25
you would calculate as follows: divide 1024 by 131.25 = 78, which is for 1min, so now we multiple 78 by 5 = 390MB.

Movie Length greater than 2.5hrs:

15GB * 1024 = 15360MB. You would now divide 15360 by the movie length in minutes. Use my example
of 131.25 you would calculate as follows: divide 15360 by 131.25 = 117, which is for 1min, so now we multiple
117 by 5 = 585MB.
Continue with the steps but substitute 170.85MB in my example with the result you got using the above calculation.

To summarise:

Desired output movie size of length less than 2.5hrs at 1080p = 10GB
Desired output movie size of length greater than 2.5hrs at 1080p = 15GB

There you have it. Good luck and if you could, please let me know how you went and what the quality was like.
If my calculation seem about right I will edit the main post and incorporate this reply?

Good luck
Krangath.