MediaCoder: "No Disk" Error Message

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
B!ink
Expert
Expert

MediaCoder: "No Disk" Error Message

Post by B!ink » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Introduction: Ever encountered, "No Disk" error message in MediaCoder? If the answer is yes, read on.

Observation: This problem has been reported dozens of time by different users in the past and present.

Question and Answers:

Q: What triggers the "No Disk" error message?
A: Judging from what I've read (including my own personal experience), this problem occurs when an Audio CD is inserted into a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drive and is later removed.

Q: Does this error message occur with other medias like CDs or DVDs?
A: No (seems to happen with Audio CDs only).

Q: Which builds of MediaCoder are affected by this?
A: Past and current release.

Q: Is this a bug in MediaCoder?
A: Can't say for sure. I'm not a programmer.

Solution: This section is broken down into two categories: Temporary Solution and Permanent Solution.

Temporary Solution:
  • *Clicking the cancel button three times
    *Re-insert the Audio CD, wait a few seconds and click continue button
    *Disable and re-enable CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW hardware through Device Manager
    *Restarting the computer
Permanent Solution:
Before we begin, the following requirements must be meet.
  • Operating System (OS):
    Windows Vista
    Windows XP/2000
    Windows 98/Me (Needs to be confirmed)

Note: Must be logged in as an administrator in order to make system wide changes.

Internal (fixed) CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drive
Steps:

1. Go to Start menu --> Run. If you're running Windows Vista, follow Windows Vista Secret #3: Bringing Back Start / Run.

2. Type "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) in the run box. Click "OK" button. This will bring up Computer Management window.

3. Under Storage, click "+" sign next to Removable Storage --> Libraries. In the screenshot listed below, I have two DVD-RW drives. I will be using SONY DVD RW DRU-720A as an example. Right click the drive and select properties.

4. Under Deferred dismounts, change Retain dismountable media for: "0" minutes. Click "Apply" button, then click "OK" button. Click "X" button to close out Computer Management.

5. To ensure this was setup properly, insert any Audio CD into the drive. Wait a few seconds for the computer to pick up the Audio CD. Eject the Audio CD and run MediaCoder afterwards. If everything goes well, "No Disk" error message will no longer appear.
Last edited by B!ink on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 am, edited 11 times in total.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Let me know if this is working.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 am

mixer wrote:I've got XP Professional SP1 with some security updates but no SP 2
You do realize SP1 is no longer supported by Microsoft correct? It's recommended that you upgrade to SP2 (or wait till SP3 comes out). But that's entirely up to you if you want to upgrade. :)
mixer wrote:Can't get past Step #3 (Under Storage, click "+" sign next to Removable Storage --> Libraries. In the screenshot listed below, I have two DVD-RW drives. I will be using SONY DVD RW DRU-720A as an example. Right click the drive and select properties), since "Libraries" is not listed as an option.
Not sure if SP1 differs from SP2. Can you post a screenshot of what appears in Computer Management for SP1.
mixer wrote:Even using "Device Manager" there is no listing for #4 (Under Deferred dismounts, change Retain dismountable media for: "0" minutes. Click "Apply" button, then click "OK" button. Click "X" button to close out Computer Management), just the usual properties.
Computer Management controls things from software prospective, whereas Device Manager controls things from hardware prospective.
mixer wrote:Does this have anything to do with the "auto run" feature?
That could be a possibility. That's another thing I might test out sometime when I get the chance. If it is the case, then I'll add another solution to the list.
mixer wrote:But, the problem is solved anyway for the time being, since today, when I booted up the computer MediaCoder is no longer looking for the CD.....at least for now.
It will once you insert an Audio CD (even if you're not using MediaCoder).

richx7
Beginner
Beginner

Post by richx7 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 pm

I found that the Memory cards were the problem. Go to Control Panel / System hardware and disable one at a time until the error goes away.

barbiel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by barbiel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

another one of my feed backs

im using vista sp1
i cant find my cd drive after going to compmgmt.msc

for developer purposes.

jack9091
Beginner
Beginner

Re: MediaCoder: "No Disk" Error Message

Post by jack9091 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm

This is unbelievable information about disk error ... thanks a lot .... i did not know before this ..... nice ..... i will try ..... keep it up dude thanks a lot
Jack

rdokoye
Beginner
Beginner

Re: MediaCoder: "No Disk" Error Message

Post by rdokoye » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:40 am

A different approach from what I've always used to rectify this problem. With that said, error messages have their purposes.