x265 clips cause VLC to crash at their last second

Bug report and feature request
Yatsura
Amateur
Amateur

x265 clips cause VLC to crash at their last second

Post by Yatsura » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:25 am

I want to create a short clip of 10-60 seconds out of a x265 movie but VLC cant properly play them.
There seems to be an pixel error at the end and VLC will crash in the last second of a clip.

Mediacoder sais the original movie codec is "V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC". The movie tag sais its x265.
To create the clip I set Mediacoders video Format to h.265, Encoder to Auto (x265 is shown), Source to Auto (FFmpeg is shown) and Preset to Medium or Very Fast. On the Time tab I set a Start Position and End Position. If I use the Select button, the movie will not play and the preview screen will stay grey. Thats why I put in the time stamps manually.

So whats causing this? I am no expert, so if I forgot any more specific informations about anything, please dont hesitate to ask about them.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: x265 clips cause VLC to crash at their last second

Post by stanley » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 am

Which version are you using?
When things work together, things work.

Yatsura
Amateur
Amateur

Re: x265 clips cause VLC to crash at their last second

Post by Yatsura » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:03 pm

It was the newest version available at the time (Dezember 2019). Probably 0.8.59.

It worked just fine with x265 preset "Ultra Fast" for whatever reason. Probably something about b-frames, i-frames or whatever gets changed in the preset settings and could cause display errors.