Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 -- need best settings or preset

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

johnblaustein
Beginner
Beginner

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 -- need best settings or preset

Post by johnblaustein » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 am

Hi,

I am using MediaCoder to convert .avi and .mkv files for viewing on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. While the Tab will display several file types, in order to use the Samsung AllShare utility, only some file types and settings work properly. AllShare wirelessly connects the Tab to a Samsung Internet-TV -- a TV show or movie run on the Tab will display on the TV. I have gotten some conversions to work, but I am not sure I have the optimum settings yet.

If anyone has a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 and has come up with the "ideal/optimum" settings in MediaCoder, I would sure appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

John

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 -- need best settings or preset

Post by meRobs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:38 pm

I suggest you start with the settings for MP4 in the Encoding Guide, listed under Tips & Guides (link below) except you could change the Resize (resolution) to 1200x600 the Samsung screen size and Crop = Expand to Fit. Then, increase the video bitrate to suit, maybe 2000 kbps.
Also, up the audio bitrate to 128 kbps and the sampling frequency to 44.1 kHz.
Good luck.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

johnblaustein
Beginner
Beginner

Post by johnblaustein » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks, meRob.....

I had read the Tips page and settled on MP4, but I appreciate your confirming that as the best choice. I used the Setup Wizard and worked through all the choices -- H.264, Avg Bitrate, 1000 Kbps, de-interlace Auto, LC-ACC 48 Kbps. I elected not to change original size or proportion and that's working well, but I will try your specific suggestions. I understand saving Presets, so that makes testing easy.

Thanks again! Very helpful!

John (in California, USA)

meRobs wrote:I suggest you start with the settings for MP4 in the Encoding Guide, listed under Tips & Guides (link below) except you could change the Resize (resolution) to 1200x600 the Samsung screen size and Crop = Expand to Fit. Then, increase the video bitrate to suit, maybe 2000 kbps.
Also, up the audio bitrate to 128 kbps and the sampling frequency to 44.1 kHz.
Good luck.

johnblaustein
Beginner
Beginner

Post by johnblaustein » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 pm

meRob....

I wanted to follow-up to let you know that your suggestions were excellent and helped me find what I think are perfect settings in MC for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

The Tab 2 7.0 has a screen resolution of 1024x600.

Here are the MC settings from the Summary tab:

Video:
MP4
H.264
Mode: Average Bitrate
Bitrate: 2000 Kbps
Resolution: 1024x600
De-interlace: Auto

Audio:
Encoder: Nero
Bitrate: 128 Kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Stereo

In the Picture tab:
Resize: 1024x600
Aspect Ratio: Keep Pixel AR
Crop: Expand to fit

Note 1: Expand to fit works well for videos in 16:9 format, but for 4:3 there are black bars at the sides. I have not tried it yet, but I think Crop to fit might work well for 4:3 on a device that's 1024x600. Also, the TV that I am streaming to -- 42" Samsung LCD -- is closer to 16:9 than 4:3. I'm not sure cropping 4:3 to 16:9 will look very good (heads will be cut off). If a TV show or movie is shot in 4:3, that's probably the best way to view it. In the end, having the image fill the frame in at least one dimension looks great, and having the black bars at the top or bottom is not a problem.

Note 2: In my initial tests, I had Resize set to Original. The Tab 2 7.0 video player has a setting to expand to fit, but it's easier to resize in MC with the Resize setting (1024x600).

Conclusion: The conversions from the settings above look and sound great on the Tab and also when streamed to the TV. I hope others might benefit from my findings.

Thanks again for the help.....

Regards,

John

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm

As you could see from the Cropping and Aspect Ratio Guides, Expand to Fit will maintain the internal aspect ratio of the original (no distortion) and, as a result, create black bars so that it fills the screen. Crop to Fit will crop some of your original image so it fills the screen without distortion.
Glad it all works for you.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download