Build 5166/75/85: MediaCoder uses Internet Explorer

Bug report and feature request
boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Build 5166/75/85: MediaCoder uses Internet Explorer

Post by boardersparadise » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi. When I click on file > settings or on picture > crop a gray window opens up, in which is written in large characters: "Loading ..."
But nothing loads. The window stays empty, nothing happens.

MediaCoder 2011 - 0.8.1 build 5166

(In previous versions, the abovementioned windows were populated.)

Last edited by boardersparadise on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

isar3
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Build 5166: "Loading..." nothing loading

Post by isar3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:45 am

I have the same problem with version 5166 and newest 5175.
I am using Linux Ubuntu with wine and every window I open, like setting, shows just loading... but nothing happens.
The same happens when I want to open the codecs setting window.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: Build 5166: "Loading..." nothing loading

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 am

still present in 5185

hm, I got an idea ... is it possible that MediaCoder relies on InternetExplorer to connect to Internet and rendering html? Because many people have IE blocked or outright deinstalled from system. It's not a good practice for a programm to rely in IE for said reasons.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Build 5166/85: "Loading..." nothing loading

Post by meRobs » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Settings, etc, open for me with 5185.
It uses a MediaCoder window and does NOT use Internet Explorer or Firefox.
Suggest there may be something wrong with your download or install.
Maybe do a clean re-install by first uninstalling and deleting the hidden Broad Intelligence folders.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: Build 5166/85: "Loading..." nothing loading

Post by boardersparadise » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 am

isar3 wrote:I have the same problem with version 5166 and newest 5175.
I am using Linux Ubuntu with wine and every window I open, like setting, shows just loading... but nothing happens.
The same happens when I want to open the codecs setting window.
thank you for confirming, isar3!

meRobs wrote: It uses a MediaCoder window and does NOT use Internet Explorer or Firefox.
I beg to differ.
I didn't say MediaCoder would *open* IE,
but it uses IE to display some windows (via IE library, IE API, IE interface, active-X, IE something ...)
Relying on IE is bad practice.

There are many windows which just don't open: Image
  • no button works on welcome window ("start now", "config wizard", "next tip", etc.)
  • file > settings ("loading ...")
  • picture > crop ("loading ...")
  • video > x264 > advanced > more parameters ("loading ...")
  • audio > format > wma9 > "click here to adjust parameters for this codec"
  • ... etc.
I don't have prove for the other points but I am 100% sure.
For the last point, I even have proof: the button CLEARLY tries to use IE (and fails), see screenshot:

meRobs wrote:Settings, etc, open for me with 5185.
yeah, that's because you don't have restricted IE's security settings.
I have. Because I don't use IE.
For example, I have turned off javascript.

I have looked into MediaCoder's application folder.
The content of the "Loading..." window is this html file: d:\apps\MediaCoder\htdocs\prefs\index.html
It tries to execute prefshtml.js and tooltip.js via IE, which can't work when js is turned off in IE.
That's why after "click here to adjust paramters for this codec", I get this IE error message:

that also explains why this doesn't work in Linux (see above), which doesn't have IE
meRobs wrote: Suggest there may be something wrong with your download or install.
No, that's how Mediacoder is coded apparently. Re-downloading won't change that.
And it's present several versions (5166, 5185, etc.)
isar3 has the same problem (see above)
I think it's important that the author(s) look into that.
Earlier in 2011 (spring), IE was not used (everything worked for me). Why get rid off IE again?
meRobs wrote:Maybe do a clean re-install by first uninstalling ...
I had done that.
meRobs wrote:...and deleting the hidden Broad Intelligence folders.
what hidden Broad Intelligence folders ??? Is this spyware? I couldn't find them.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Build 5166/75/85: MediaCoder uses Internet Explorer

Post by meRobs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am

I gather that MediaCoder needs to access a browser from time to time. In my case Firefox is the default and that opens. In your case it is IE.

The two Brad Intelligence folders do NOT contain spyware. They have preference files
In Windows OS, they are hidden and you need to check "Show hidden files and folders" then find them at:
1) Docs & Settings > owner > Application Data > Broad Intelligence
2) Docs & Settings > owner > Local Settings > Application Data > Broad Intelligence
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:01 am

meRobs wrote:I gather that MediaCoder needs to access a browser from time to time. In my case Firefox is the default and that opens. In your case it is IE.
No, my default browser is Firefox. I have disabled and restricted IE (as already mentioned multiple times, I don't know why you disregard this information!).
There is a difference between launching an Internet Browser and using IE's API internally to display pop-up windows (lazy programming?).
I am not sure you are aware of the implications of my last posting, but I'm sure Stanley knows of the problem.
Maybe he can chime in on this later on.
The two Brad Intelligence folders do NOT contain spyware. They have preference files
In Windows OS:
1) Docs & Settings > owner > Application Data > Broad Intelligence
2) Docs & Settings > owner > Local Settings > Application Data > Broad Intelligence
Thank you for the information! Why do the folders have this very suspicious "Broad Intelligence" name? And why does MediaCoder store data there and not in the Mediacoder folders? Related thread: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk (post #5, #7)

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 am

Broad Intelligence, I gather was the 'company' name Stanley used initially.

Sorry, about the IE thing. I failed to see any mention of Firefox by you and when you said you restricted IE, I thought you meant that you had it but was choosing not to use it and that the OS opened it when a browser was required.

isar3
Amateur
Amateur

Post by isar3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:08 am

Version 5198 still has the problem, very anoying.
By the way I use Linux with wine and have Firefox installed.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:40 pm

MediaCoder does uses IE to render all the HTML based contents. It used to use Xulrunner which seems dying and I switched to to IE because there is no additional components need to be installed, at least for windows pc. For people uses mediacoder on Wine, there can be problem. I will add a workaround for Wine in next release.
When things work together, things work.