Build 5160: STILL problems with DVD import

Bug report and feature request
Rustami
Amateur
Amateur

Build 5160: STILL problems with DVD import

Post by Rustami » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Well, problem again. Mediacoder (unlikely to Procoder, handbrake, DVD Re-author pro) can't import DVD correctly. Look at attached screenshot. I have dropped VTS_02_0.IFO on to mediacoder and tried to encode video, but as result I got documentary video about film although it shows correct duration. When I tried to use add track feature, it shows 7 tracks! After selecting "correct" one (7th), it shows duration 0:00 and produces error at the end of encoding...

DVD import is weakest part of mediacoder. Very unpredictable and unstable.

I also attached ifos...

kawamoto76
Advanced
Advanced

Re: build 5160 - STILL problems with DVD import

Post by kawamoto76 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I think Mediacoder is a "transcoder". It is not a DVD authoring tool.

If recommend you to combine separated each .vob files(on NTFS),
please try
copy /B vts_01_0.vob + vts_01_1.vob + vts_01_2.vob + ..... vts_01_combined.vob
copy /B vts_02_0.vob + vts_02_1.vob + vts_02_2.vob + ..... vts_02_combined.vob
You may transcode combined .vob(s) into wanted format
Akira Kawamoto

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Actually, I believe Rustami is not trying to 'author' the DVD content.
Also, it is not a good idea to deal with VOB files directly or in combination (sync issues, etc).

It is best to transcode the IFO file for the desired VTS title, as done by Rustami.
Or use Add Track, which effectively uses the IFO files.

I haven't tried build 5160 yet, but will soon and I shall check Add track.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Firstly, as you probably know, the IFO file merely contains details and directions about the Titles of the DVD, whose material is stored in the VOBs.
If you drop an IFO files onto a player like KMplayer or WinDVD, all the titles in that IFO would be seen.
This would also apply to MediaCoder and Add Track, which 'should' merely respond to the data in the IOF file.

What happens if you play your IFO files on a software player?

Secondly, VTS titles are different from 'Titles' as seen by a player. Hence, VTS_02_0.IFO for VTS Title 2 may well contain 7 titles (7 Timelines used in the Authoring App that created the DVD).

I just tested build 5160:
(1) I selected a DVD on my HDD, one that contains 2 VTS groups, like yours, and dropped the first IFO (associated with 3 VOBs) onto MediaCoder. It showed approximately the correct duration (Properties panel) - rounded down to the nearest minute - 5280 sec instead of 88:22 min. This encoded to MPEG2 correctly without error.
(2) similarly the second IFO (for 2 VOBs) showed 4200 sec (=70 min) rounded down from 70:34, and encoded correctly.
Then,
(3) I used Add Track and encoded each of the two tracks (=titles). The conversions completed but MediaCoder crashed each time with the message "MediaCoder … needs to close". In each case the output file was complete and played OK.
Thinking this was due to my Firewall, I repeated with ZoneAlarm Security Suite closed and the modem off. Same result.

This is consistant with the findings for the "Add Track B" test in the Test Report, under Tips & Guides (link below).

I shall next try build 5166.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I just tried the Add Track B test in build 5166 and it worked.
The correct duration appeared in the Properties panel and it encoded without error.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

I re-installed byuild 5160 again.
Once again, it crashed after completing the conversion in the Add Tack B test (see above).

Hence, Rustami, I suggest you try 5166 and please report back.

kawamoto76
Advanced
Advanced

Why you have to convert .vob files ?

Post by kawamoto76 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:37 am

I think it is not necessary for mediacoder to make able to utilize the information on IFO files.
Because mediacoder is a transcoder, its specification should be aimed to a style of file-input and file-output. If it must be able to handle an application format(file groups) such as DVD-VIDEO, mediacoder should handle also AVCHD(.m2ts files and menu files), and also BD-VIDEO. In the present version, only DVD-VIDEO seems to be handled to reproduce source .mpg files from .VOB files utilising the information on IFO file. But this ability is not the purpose of mediacoder. Furthermore, effort for this "inverse authoring" may add many secondary bugs for the other functions in mediacoder.
Note, mediacoder should be natively a "transcoder", but not a "inverse authoring tool" nor a "video editing tool". Don't force developper of mediacoder to expand the aim of the software, that would make mediacoder more complicated inviting many secondary bugs. The concept of "DVD import" should be discarded from mediacoder.
From this viewpoint, I recommend you to combine separated each .vob files(on NTFS) into one .vob file preliminary before using mediacoder even if some information might be lost,
please try
copy /B vts_01_0.vob + vts_01_1.vob + vts_01_2.vob + ..... vts_01_combined.vob
copy /B vts_02_0.vob + vts_02_1.vob + vts_02_2.vob + ..... vts_02_combined.vob
You may transcode combined .vob(s) into wanted format

Maybe, people who will handle .vob files got them from de-encripting(ripping) the comercially sold DVD-VIDEO illegally, for scarecely we convert any video files into .vob format except authoring DVD-VIDEO as by-product. When we make DVD-VIDEO, there is no necessity to convert secondary .vob file further, for we can use primary video source files for another conversion. Then, except .vob files got by ripping, mediacoder should not have to handle .vob files.

In spite of this situation, Merobs adopts a .vob file as a test input file for mediacoder. The only reason why he did so may be that video codec(mpeg) and audio codec(.ac3) used on DVD-VIDEO have few variations. With any other container format, there can be expected so many variation of A/V codecs, then it is very difficult to define the standard test file.
Last edited by kawamoto76 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Kawamoto

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:24 am

kawamoto76, this bug report has strictly nothing to do with legality/illegality. Nothing whatsoever. Please avoid off-topic posts.

Rustami
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rustami » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 pm

meRobs wrote:Firstly, as you probably know, the IFO file merely contains details and directions about the Titles of the DVD, whose material is stored in the VOBs.
If you drop an IFO files onto a player like KMplayer or WinDVD, all the titles in that IFO would be seen.
This would also apply to MediaCoder and Add Track, which 'should' merely respond to the data in the IOF file.

What happens if you play your IFO files on a software player?

Secondly, VTS titles are different from 'Titles' as seen by a player. Hence, VTS_02_0.IFO for VTS Title 2 may well contain 7 titles (7 Timelines used in the Authoring App that created the DVD).
I admit I have no idea about background of DVD structure, but the question is why a lot of software but Mediacoder able to extract or transcode video after pointing it out to video-ts folder? :?: I mean easily.
Last edited by Rustami on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rustami
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rustami » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 pm

meRobs wrote:I re-installed byuild 5160 again.
Once again, it crashed after completing the conversion in the Add Tack B test (see above).

Hence, Rustami, I suggest you try 5166 and please report back.
Now I have an opportunity to test it out. Will report back.