Build 5160: fails to transcode audio into LC-AAC 2ch

Bug report and feature request
ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Build 5160: fails to transcode audio into LC-AAC 2ch

Post by ysbinns » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 am

I tried to create MP4 files from various movie files. In the Video tab I use Copy Video and Auto Select for Encoder and Source. In the Audio tab I use LC-AAC for Format and Auto Select for Encoder and Source. Resample is set to 48000. In the Faac tab I use 128 bit rate, mpeg4 and container AAC. In the Sound tab I use Stereo for Channels and Gain is set to 10db. The original audio formats are LCAAC 2ch, LCAAC 6ch, AC3 2ch, AC3 6ch, MP3 2ch, and Vorbis 2ch.

All attempts to create the MP4 files with these settings fail.

I retried the same tests and only changing the audio Format to MP3 and AC-3. For both of these test sets all attempts to create MP4 files were successful except for the LC-AAC 6ch files which failed.

So this setup works for MP3 and AC-3 but not LC-AAC. I would like the LC-AAC format to work too.

bb002h
Beginner
Beginner

Re: build 5160 fails to transcode audio into LC-AAC 2ch

Post by bb002h » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:37 am

Any word on this issue being fixed or not in 5166?

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 pm

No, it is not fixed.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Suggest you try the settings for MP4 as given in the Encoding Guide, under Tips & Guides (link below).
Try it on a small file first. It should work.
Then check Copy Audio and try again.
Let us know what happens.
Good luck.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 am

The Guides say nothing about using Copy Video. The Guides want me to re-encode the video. This is UNACCEPTABLE. I want my files to be as close to the original video content without introducing any further loss. I need to change the audio simply because my media player has problems with certain audio formats so I accept the "loss" from 6ch sound to 2ch sound.

I already have discovered my own method to achieve my desired output. It uses MKVmerge GUI, AudioCoder 5150 and MediaCoder 4740. My method works 99.99% of the time. I was hoping that a single MediaCoder build could duplicate these results.

After trying just about every build from 5000 to present, using the same COPY VIDEO, I come to the realization that all Stanley does is slap something together and give it to the users. He doesn't test anything. It's up to users to test things out. And I don't believe he reads any of our bug reports.

I was a custom software developement manager at my company before I retired. I would never allow my employees to develop software in the fashion I see used here. And I personally don't have the time to continually test the untested versions that keep popping out. And if you read the MediaCoder's home page you will see a comment about lack of respect for Chinese software developers. I wonder why that is ??????

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 am

There are an infinite number of possible combinations of the various setttings/formats/encoders, etc. Some may fail and when they do you change some until they work.
Also, as new versions of the utilities that are linked under the GUI become available Stanley updates. He also points out that, as a result, all builds are beta versions.
As users, we get his App free and it is up to us to make use of it if we wish.
That is why we help each other via this forum.
Also, as pointed out elsewhere, once you find a build that works (for you) stick to it, and try newer builds only if you wish to experiment.

I am fully aware that my Guide did not include 'copy video', which is why I suggested you apply the MP4 settings on a small test file to see if all else works.
This will check whether the audio will convert as you want.
Also, the encoder, etc, I chose to get AAC differs from what you used for the encoder (auto), etc.
Setting 'Copy video' may interfere.
Pity you gave up
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:22 am

Gave up? No I did not do that. I have 16 various files, cut down to 1 minute each, of various combinations of video, audio, and container formats. Concerning my special MP4 LC-AAC problem, I have tried every combination of encoders and sources that are available with MediaCoder. None of them worked when I use Copy Video. However things do work when I re-encode the video. So MediaCoder is capable of working. I tried using MP3 outputs and AC-3 outputs with Copy Video and things work. So this appears to be a LC-AAC/Copy Video problem. And this problem has been present for so many builds. And I have reported this problem for so many builds. And I have noticed with many other postings that many other people have the same type of problem. And I've noticed that they also have a high level of frustration too.

As for Beta versions, there is a "standard" process for developing Beta releases and issuing them to the public. Bug reports are sent in, problems are analyzed, and fixes are implemented. And then users are finally given a working piece of software that they would feel comfortable in purchasing. But developers never continually issue new betas with new unproven additions. There is no way to control a reliable developement process in this fashion.

Perhaps Stanley should "draw a line in the sand". Stop the perpetual new additions and make a firm committment to resolve all the outstanding issues that are currently present. In this fashion he can actually develop a good working piece of software that would gain a reputation that he wants. By reading all the different bug reports I would think that he would have a lot of work to do but it would be well worth it.

Giving up? Nope, MediaCoder and AudioCoder does things that I haven't been able to do with any other software. And I use various builds to get done what I need. I just want it to be the reputable software that it should be.