Registry entries

Bug report and feature request
stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Here is the NSIS script for generating the installer of MediaCoder. Anyone can help to improve it?

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/dl/me ... script.zip
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 am

Mixer is right, when you try to remove MediaCoder from Add/Remove, it leaves the program folder behind. But the strange thing is if you use the uninstaller from the start menu, it gets rid of everything. I have some (but not advanced knowledge) of NSIS. I'm taking a look at the code. Not sure If I will be able to fix it.

As for leaving registry files behind, I haven't determine what they are.

Edit: From what I've tested out with the uninstaller, it seems to remove everything on my end but I can't be to sure right now because I'm running Windows Vista. So I will try it under Windows XP. I still need to look at the code.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Mixer, I did a test under Windows XP and came to this conclusion. The uninstaller is leaving some files behind because MediaCoder (or any other process that MediaCoder calls for) is still running in the background while the program is being uninstalled. The only way for the uninstaller to work properly is by making sure MediaCoder is not running (or locked) in the background. An uninstaller cannot unlock a process unless the uninstaller calls for the process to be shut down before proceeding with the removal of the program. The only reason I stumbled upon it is because I left MediaCoder opened by mistake while I was uninstalling. This left six files behind when I checked the folder afterwards. My suggestion to stanley is to put something in the NSIS script in the uninstaller section where it checks to make MediaCoder is not running in the background before running the uninstaller. So for example, X user left MediaCoder opened, they run the uninstaller, it should display some sort of message like, "MediaCoder is still running in the background. Make sure the program is shut down first before proceeding." Then it should display an OK button and close the uninstaller. This will make the user aware that the program is still running in the background. This is something that needs to be added in the NSIS script, which sadly I don't know how to do yet.

As for leaving some registry behind; the only thing the scripts adds to the registry is the uninstaller and mediacoder.exe strings, which is deleted afterwards even if the program is locked. Those are the only two entries it adds.