ropi77
Beginner
Beginner

Mediacoder doesn't load from the system tray

Post by ropi77 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

Hi,
i cannot open MC from the system tray.
I open the app with the click on the shortcut, there appears the icon of
the MC on the system tray, but the windows with the programm doesn't load.
It happens with all versions of MC.
Thanks for your help

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Mediacoder doesn't load from the system tray

Post by meRobs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 am

Yes, if you open MediaCoder from the Start Menu or Shortcut from the Desktop it merely appears in the System Tray, at right.
Then, a single click on this icon will open the GUI.

Is this what you mean?
If so, it is not a bug!
This behaviour can be changed via "Advanced Settings" (3rd button from right) > Overall > User INterface > Tray Icon Configuration.
Try: "Disable tay icon" and maybe re-start MediaCoder.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ropi77
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ropi77 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes, if you open MediaCoder from the Start Menu or Shortcut from the Desktop it merely appears in the System Tray, at right.
Then, a single click on this icon will open the GUI.

Is this what you mean?
If so, it is not a bug!
This behaviour can be changed via "Advanced Settings" (3rd button from right) > Overall > User INterface > Tray Icon Configuration.
Try: "Disable tay icon" and maybe re-start MediaCoder.
Yes, that's what I mean.
I click on the shortcut, the MediaCoder starts, but the window with MC doesn't open, there appears immediately the icon on the system tray.
I can do single click on this icon, I can do right mouse click on Show interface - NO RESULTS.
The window with MC doesn't open :(

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I have never seen this problem/bug before.
Suggest you R-click > Exit and then re-open MC from a Shortcut.
Then, after the Splash screen the Thanks webpage should open, which has a "Config Wizard" botton (yellow, at left).
Suggest you enter the Wizard and look for something that indicates Sytem Tray behaviour!
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

mcguy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mcguy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Having similar problem as the OP and -- as if -- even weirder.

Just installed 0.7.5.4795 x64 (updating from previous version, which had the same problem for me). Running on Vista Home Ultimate on AMD Phenom quad 2.2.

Steps to recreate:

Click MC exe or link to the same. Default browser opens to MC website (wtf??! grr... moving on...)

Click "Start Now" on the web interface. A MC button flashes on my task bar, but when I click on it, my browser now opens Amazon.com!(wtf guys??!) Yes, Amazon. And MC still does not show the UI. But there's still MC in the system tray, so, left click that, MC appears as a button on the task bar again, but again, no UI. Click the button and it disappears, no UI. Right click the icon in the tray and ask "show interface", same as left-clicking -- NO UI.

I cannot view the UI no matter what I pick, even though I have one (one more) instances of MC running as evidenced in the tray and procexp.

So I tried following the previous advice to "follow the web configuration" (grr... moving on...), and that is totally ineffective at resolving the problem (N.B. to the person who suggested this, there is nothing in those screens that addresses system tray behaviour).

If you guys have any ideas to resolve this I am all ears. If you need more info just let me know.

Otherwise I might as well uninstall because MC has been rendered useless to me.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:32 pm

As I said above, I have never encountered this problem, but then, (1) I use the 32 bit version with XP and (2) I had gone through the initial setup stage with a much earlier version of MediaCoder.
Once the initial setup is achieved, and all works, a newer version gives no additional problems.

Even then, the usual outcome of starting the EXE file, or the Shortcut from the Start menu of Windows, is the Splash screen, which is annoying, though a click on it will kill it, and then the browser (Firefox) opens with a Welcome screen that has the above-mentioned Start Now and Configuration buttons. I usually ignore ths annoying screen (kill the browser window) and click on the System tray icon and Bob's your uncle!

Once you can get MediaCoder's GUI open you can get to a setting that relates to the system tray.

So, I can see (guess) that you have two options:
(1) install a much earlier vesrion of MediaCoder, like 4640 ('older versions' in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6917), which, hopefully wiil not expose you to this startup problem or
(2) re-open via the EXE file and click on the Configuration button, not the 'Start now'. If you had tried this, then, back to option 1.

Good luck.

mcguy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mcguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 pm

@meRobs,
Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I was overly cranky. I went back a couple versions (0.7.5.4720 x64) and things seem to be working normally now. The other idiosyncrasies of MediaCoder are, well, I will not complain about those any further as I do not want to seem ungrateful. Free is free, and MC is a really great app when it works.

Is it worth submitting the dead UI behaviour of the current x64 version as a bug do you think?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Do not be concerned about reporting what you consider to be faults or bugs.
Either you or the developer might learn something!

Suggest you do put in a Bug report. It may be a bug with the 64-bit version or with just 4795.
There seems to be other problems with this most recent build.

Suggest you look at the Test Report on builds (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9611).
There may be a more suitable build for you than 4720?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm

I have just experienced much the same problem with the 16 bit version.
For testing purposes, I had repeatedly over-installed various builds from 4762 up to 4774, etc, and at one point all I got from an install was the system tray icon.
A click or D-click on the icon gave nothing!

So, I did a clean un-install of this build using Revo Uninstaller, a freebie. This App offers to remove all Registry entries and any leftover files it finds that are related to MediaCoder. I adopted all options and then re-installed the desired build. It worked!

So, in my case, and in yours, there may have been leftover files, probably in 'hidden' Broad Intelligence folders, that cause a conflict.
I suggest a clean uninstall, etc, as above.

seboyd2000
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seboyd2000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:54 am

yo,

Ya I've also got this same problem and an unInstall/re-install doesnt work,
neither does install the 32 bit version as apposed to the 64bit I originally tried.
(I will post this same message to the link given above, cause it seems related to both posts)

I'm running the latest version of win7 home premium 64bit (fully updated)

I downloaded both mediacoder versions 32 & 64bit
(and wish I hadn't trashed my older working version, but I did)

MediaCoder-32bit-0.7.5.4799
MediaCoder-64bit-0.7.5.4799

Software download date: 2011.01.05

---

Ok I get the same results as what is described above. I installed the 64bit version first,
and when I click the icon to start it, all works well except for the annoying browser pages opening, just open the program, dude...!
anyways, the program does it start-up and goes to the tray icon
I go there to open it to the screen, but it doesn't SHOW INTERFACE
on the computer screen, no matter what I do or which version I try
by right clicking the icon for a menu... selecting the above choice

it is the same actions happening in both versions 32bit and 64 bit

I have un-installed the 64 bit, which auto-deleted its folder and contents
I then restarted the computer and installed the 32 bit version
and still get the same results, so I un-installed it and tried the 64bit version again, and get the same results

OK - I quit for now,
will go back to my Xilisoft media encoder... for now

But I really do prefer the Mediacoder over any other encoder, when it works.. :(

seb