I am now a Linux user

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

B!ink
Expert
Expert

I am now a Linux user

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Made the jump from Windows to Linux. Thought I try something different for a change.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 with Wine installed (just in case I need to use MediaCoder and/or other windows application).

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:08 am

Congratulations! ^_^
Ubuntu is cool and easy-to-use. I use it on my EEE PC. Wine is going pretty stable and mature.
When things work together, things work.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm

mixer wrote:When I go to the Ubunto website, it's not clear at all what to download...
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

The link posted above is the download link of Ubuntu in ISO image. Before you begin, you need to determine if your computer is running 32 bit or 64 bit architecture and if you want Desktop or Server Edition using version 8.04 LTS or 8.10. Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit) Desktop Edition will be the default selection when you visit the website. Select a download location near you and click "Begin Download" button. Save ISO image to desktop.

If you're not sure what architecture you're running, leave the make and model of your computer or the make and model of your processor here.
mixer wrote:...and how to use it
Ubuntu ISO image comes with a Live CD, a full installation and Wubi. The ISO image is already bootable.

Getting Started....

1. Burn the ISO image to a blank CD-R using your favorite burning software. For burning ISO, I used ImgBurn.

2. Leave the burned CD-R in your CD-ROM drive. If autorun pops up after you're done burning, click "Cancel" button.

3. Restart computer.

4. After the boot process is completed, your computer should boot from the CD-R.

5. Select a language using the cursor key and hit enter.

6. Highlight and select "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" and hit enter. This will load Ubuntu Live CD.

Another option of running Ubuntu is through USB flash drive. As of Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition, this tool comes bundled with Ubuntu. In order to use this tool, you need to be running Ubuntu from Live CD, full installation or through Wubi. In Ubuntu, go to System --> Administration --> Create a USB startup disk. Use the ISO image you downloaded earlier or use the CD you burned. This tool will retrieve the necessary files from the CD/ISO and place them on the USB flash drive. Flash drive needs to be formated to FAT16 or FAT32 file system for this to work.

Another way of running Ubuntu is through Wubi. This program comes officially bundled with Ubuntu ISO image since version 8.04. If you want to go this route.....

1. Make sure Windows is running.

2. Pop the CD-R you burned earlier into the CD-ROM drive.

3. Select the first entry you see in the autorun menu and click "OK" button. If autorun is disable, browse Ubuntu CD and look for wubi.exe.

4. Follow instructions in the installation window.

5. Restart computer when installation is completed.

5. When the computer boots up, a new entry will be added to the Windows bootloader. Highlight and select "Ubuntu".

6. Experiment with Ubuntu.

For further explanation on how Wubi works, please refer to Wubi FAQ.

If you're not sure of anything, just ask here.
Last edited by B!ink on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Edit: touched up the instructions.

:P

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 pm

LTS stands for Long Term Support. Please refer to this link for more info. If you want the history or orgin of Ubuntu, please refer to Ubuntu Wiki.

If you're not sure or still don't understand how this works, just ask. :)

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 am

How old is your system mixer? Just curious.

hashime
Beginner
Beginner

Re: I am now a Linux user

Post by hashime » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 am

LTS stands for long term support, 8.04 or Hardy Heron is being offered support until April 2011, 8.10 or Intrepid Ibex is only being supported in the short term.