MediaCoder on Mac OS X 10.4 (x86) + Tips

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
SaltwaterC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SaltwaterC » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Something made me to test this while reading the whole stuff about running under Linux+WINE. So yes, this is a confirmation that MediaCoder runs under OS X. I am sorry if this has been posted before (I've used the search form, but no relevant thread was returned). I am a really busy person and the site lacks any form of email contact.

So here I start with the typing.

Usually you have to start with the WINE installation. This guy from here wrote a great How-To about how to compile WINE from the sources. The easier alternative is to use MacPorts for the sources compiling, but taking the same steps as Alan Tan did. Personally I prefer the second option because MacPorts provides a pretty usable package manager. The only commands that you would need are:

Code: Select all

sudo port search port_name

sudo port install port_name
where the port_name are the required/recommended packages: freetype (recommended), fontforge, and wine.

In order to use a Windows app under OS X you need to use the xterm from the X11 application (/Applications/Utilities/X11) instead of the Terminal, because WINE uses Apple's implementation of X11.

Tip: in order to use the $PATH environment variable, you need to make xterm a login shell. Go to X11 menu >> Applications >> Customize Menu ... In the 'Command' column that corresponds to the 'Terminal' menu name add -ls after xterm. Instead of xterm command, you need to have xterm -ls. Next time when you start X11, the first opened xterm won't be a login shell! Close that shell and open a new one (hot-key combination Apple+N) and voila, you have a xterm as a login shell which uses the settings from the .profile file.

Next step is to install Firefox for Windows under OS X. It looks like a horror movie with happy end, but I couldn't have patience to look for a workaround. Then after the Firefox setup has finished, you can install MediaCoder and start it.

Tip: don't forget that the default installation path for MediaCoder is:

$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaCoder/mediacoder.exe
so you can easily launch it with

wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaCoder/mediacoder.exe
or use a alias into the application profile. Aliases are pretty useful because they provide you the possibility to use custom shell commands.

Small how to: fire up a shell, or if you already have one in front of your eyes, go to your home directory with:

cd $HOME
then edit your profile file with:

nano .profile
Nano is a small text-mode text editor for UNIX-like operating systems. Go to the end of the file and add this:

alias mediacoder='wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaCoder/mediacoder.exe'
then save the file with Ctr+O and close the text editor with Ctr+X. Restart the shell (close and open it). Next time when you would login with a xterm shell, you can easily type

mediacoder
in order to start the application.

Good Luck.

I almost forgot the screenshots:

It's a little bit unstable, it has a weird a$$ look, but it encodes fine.

PS: you guys are doing a great job with MediaCoder. Too bad that OS X lacks a tool like this one ...
Open my eyes, saltwater rain ...

thibeaz
Amateur
Amateur

Wow nice

Post by thibeaz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Stanely you should sticky this next to my Linux/Wine Mediacoder Tutorial

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 am

I already stickied it. It's great news to hear MediaCoder runs on OS X, too!

It would be great if some people with a Mac could try this out and confirm:)
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:24 am

That's interesting.

:shock:

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Yes, interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.
When things work together, things work.

SaltwaterC
Beginner
Beginner

About the working part ...

Post by SaltwaterC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:51 pm

To be honest the only thing that might be a royal pain in the back is the WINE compiling and configuration. I didn't knew about the fact that the Xcode update is a requirement, so I failed several times in the compilation act till I found the How-To. The configuration can be an issue in some weird cases when there are some messed access rights into your own home directory. I also tested WINE on my coworker's Macintosh, and the winecfg application failed several times. In the first phase it couldn't create the .wine directory, so I had to manually create it and set the permissions in order to see if it works. It works. If this permissions issue occurs, use the Disk Utility to fix it.

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Select the root partition of the OS X installation, the 'First Aid' tab from the area from the right side and obviously, click the 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

I am also curious if people could benefit from the stuff that I wrote, so I wish good luck to any Macintosh owner that's willing to try this.
Open my eyes, saltwater rain ...

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:03 am

I've added a link to this post on the download page.
When things work together, things work.

otazzku
Beginner
Beginner

Post by otazzku » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:00 am

moonmoon
Beginner
Beginner

Post by moonmoon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:06 am

yeah~! :)

Edit by SirAuron: Spam? Posted this kind of useless commentar three times all ready. One more will result in a ban. Looking at the webpage in his profile made it clear. Pointless spam - user banned.

omgraae
Beginner
Beginner

works perfectly

Post by omgraae » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Running this version of wine atm. google darwine builds.
This includes a nice winehelper. This makes links directly launch-able. You wont need to use the console in order to use this program.
I am running Mac OS 10.5.2, darwine 0.9.57

It doesn't look odd at all. It looks different on account of no theme being loaded.

I couldn't convert files ending with ?.wma I have not tested this on windows yet.

- Sorry for the lack of links. 1'st post, so cannot post links
Macbook pro 2.2GHz C2D, Mac OS 10.5.2
Thinkpad T40 1.7GHz P-M, Ubuntu 7.10