Nvidia cuda and ATI cards

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

marjamar
Amateur
Amateur

Nvidia cuda and ATI cards

Post by marjamar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 am

Split by admin from this original thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9257
Audio comment split here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9366

This topic below is for ATI vs Nvida stuff as you can see.

StormChaser wrote:Thanks for the extra info, Rodger. Glad you're getting on OK with the CUDA encoding. I'm all ATI here so don't have the luxury. Don't forget to post a working preset to help out others who may be struggling with it. :)
I'm pretty much an ATI user myself. But, I'm not a gamer and most gamers believe pretty strongly in nVidia. I only bought this new card for CUDA encoding primarily, but now that I have it, I have to admit I'm a little drawn by the idea of 3D eye glasses, games and BR content. I guess it doesn't hurt to have some extra ability built-in, if I ever want to delve into some other areas.

I don't think my presets are much of what fixed this for me. I think it must be the new card and CUDA encoding. I'll post them anyway, just in case.

-Rodger

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: Blu-Ray conversions -- Anyone having any success?

Post by encroder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 am

If the video is for your enjoyment only, there is no problem.

The main house tv, is like a people magnet when there is a good film on. Everyone hears audio different, they may also hear the audio quality difference that you may not hear ;-)

StormChaser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by StormChaser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am

marjamar wrote:I'm pretty much an ATI user myself. But, I'm not a gamer and most gamers believe pretty strongly in nVidia.
I'm a serious gamer, or used to be, hence all the ATI cards. They may not win on paper very often, but they beat Nvidia hands-down in the real-world for gaming. It's just a shame that all of the official benchmarks I've ever seen comparing the two allow the Nvidia cards to run fully optimised but force the ATI cards to run with their optimisations disabled. It's a long story that I won't bore you with, but it goes back to around 2003 when Nvidia spat their dummy out and refused to allow their cards to go in head-to-head tests with the ATI cards if running fully optimised. If you're interested, Google around for old news articles relating to '3DMark' and 'Catalyst AI' and you'll no doubt find it somewhere. It seems that Nvidia were happy to spend years sacrificing image quality for framerate in hardware, but wouldn't allow ATI to do the same thing at the driver level in comparative tests. Cheeky sods! ;)
I only bought this new card for CUDA encoding primarily, but now that I have it, I have to admit I'm a little drawn by the idea of 3D eye glasses, games and BR content. I guess it doesn't hurt to have some extra ability built-in, if I ever want to delve into some other areas.
If you're still running any ATI cards, there's been a free anaglyph (red/cyan or amber/blue glasses) 3D driver available for years that works on standard monitors in tandem with the standard graphics card drivers. I've been using it for some time now and I've yet to find any DirectX or OpenGL games it won't work with. Google 'iZ3D' if you're interested. It's not as good as shutter glasses or polarised glasses obviously, but it's better than nowt. :)
I don't think my presets are much of what fixed this for me. I think it must be the new card and CUDA encoding. I'll post them anyway, just in case.
Good idea. Plenty of people seem to find MediaCoder pretty scary if they're just starting out. Any help is usually appreciated. :)

PPS I'll stop hijacking your thread now. :lol:

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:53 am

The problem with ATI vs Nvidia as i see for along time. And don't get me wrong here i use ATI becuase they are far superior for video, i don't play games nor waiting for cutting edge hardware.

I did use nvidia gfx many years ago, now only for interent pcs, and soon those will be ati. Found their driver versions always had the same bugs. Nvidia stated they will never fix them, not good for any manufacture to say. Someone later found the registery enteries were at fault, so we could fix those bugs. Easy as that was, why couldn't nvidia do such a simple fix. Their last driver a few years later still has the same bugs.

I bought ati cards and never looked back, thought wtf had i been missing this is what a gfx card is meant to be like. Around then i was tv capping and ati drivers needed netframework to run. These weren't on the driver disk either, maybe initial net framework conception then. And was a problem that if downloaded and installed i would have to set a password to use my pc. No option for not having a password. Making problem with scheduling for tv capping. So decided for alternative option used omega ati drivers, these were great and needed no netframework. Years later with xp3 found that i could get around net framework, by hacking the os. Later NF versions enabled me to do more simple os tweak and all was good. By then i had long stopped tv capping so wasn't an needed option any more.

Both ati and nvidia have their faults, nvidia far worse than ati not only for not bug fixing. But their interface and drivers stink, even other peoples drivers are little better for nvidia. Thankful for nvidia been stubborn i moved over to ati, i say here thank you to the omega ati drivers developer. ;-)