MKV Container for mpeg2 (why bother)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

encroder
Modest
Modest

MKV Container for mpeg2 (why bother)

Post by encroder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:22 am

Observational wtf:

MKV what's the point, have been given an mkv file that is mpeg2, ac3, subs and chapters. Why not just make a dvd of them instead and more easy to play for pc and home. I tinmkered with this file and found it is crippled. I used mkvcleaver to get the video, audio, subs and chapters. All ok but not the chapter.xml the times in it are wrong for dvd authoring. Tried to find a tool to get the correct chapter, nothing found. Remuxed with mediacoder very fast, no subs or chapters were output.

So if offered an mkv and need the same quality of original video it contains - don't bother. Or you will have to rely on one of those useless mkv to dvd type softwares that will destroy all and any picture quality. I did think of using one just to get the chapters. It was also very easy for me to erase this mkv video, which i did. Mkv don't use it if later needing the files inside for dvd.

Why the developers never though hang on when using it for mpeg2. We should have standard dvd chpater and even a menu or same layout from dvd. It will be a dvd backup but in an mkv format, that easily can go back to dvd, now that would have made more sense.

wtf over (at least for me):
Last edited by encroder on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Re: MKV file (why bother)

Post by ladycoder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 pm

MKV is a container, you can use any codecs in it. These days it is most common to see avc/aac in mkv container.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: MKV Container for mpeg2 (why bother)

Post by encroder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 am

Update: changed the title to reflect mkv-mpeg2
Update: **** now realised i've brought x264 into the thread also.

I'm all in favour of all new containers and formats, someday there will be the one. Also in favour of those that are well thought out in advanced. And changes made as needed to keep them healthy. They also need to be made with end user in mind, if they are intended for public pc use.

MKV for mpeg2 - Backwards PTS and incompatable chapters for dvd (at least for mpeg2 , probably lots more for other formats that mkv can encasulate)

x264 - File size which is not a problem if x264 are no longer competing against xvid.
x264 - Non abilty to play on older pc's, that many use as a home entertainment console. While older pc home console and pc conputers, P3 and others of the same time or later. Also some dvd players can play xvid easily, though many if not all have problems with x264