Audio out of sync

Bug report and feature request
ZooMigo
Amateur
Amateur

Audio out of sync

Post by ZooMigo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:54 am

I posted this in another thread, but I'm putting this link here so the devs can see it too. The basic problem is loss of audio sync when transcoding HD .ts streams to .mp4.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026&start=6

UPDATE:

While I have not been able to fix the audio sync issue from within mediacoder, I have found that if I use StaxRip it will encode properly, but that's not what this update is about..... This problem has expanded to include most any file I use as input that is originally a transport stream (.ts or .m2ts). This post is particularly about .ts sources.

The original source file is a direct OTA recording of the HD signal from my local station. I use the WinTV application and do a direct dump of the digital signal to file. I am using a HD-2250 from Hauppague as my OTA tuner. The resulting .ts files are in perfect sync if played back using VLC or MPC-HD. If I allow the WinTV software to convert the .ts to mpeg2 then the audio goes out of sync. Again, these .ts files are direct dumps of the OTA signal. After editing out the commercials using HDTVtoMPEG2 and saving the resulting file as a .ts I still have perfect sync, and if I load the commercial-less file into mediacoder and use (auto) as my video encoder and (ffmpeg) as my audio encoder the result is in sync. Except that with most files, about half-way through, the audio garbles and turns to mush.

I tried specifying the video and audio encoders in multiple combinations and it appears that any video encoder will work properly, but if I use any audio encoder other than ffmpeg I lose sync. Very strange. This problem is very repeatable. I would like to put up a small sample recording file so the devs could d/l it and duplicate my problems, but the original .ts files are just under 5 gigs, and I'm not sure you could see the problem if I just cut out a 200 mb portion. I'll keep working on this, but maybe one of the devs has a setup similar enough to mine to be able to reproduce the problem.

Capture: Hauppague HD2250, using WinTV 7 and direct dump to .ts file
editor: HDTVtoMPEG2 (freeware), process to .ts file
encoder: Mediacoder x64 0.7.2.4522
Machine: i7 920 @3.6 Ghz, 6G RAM

Edit: I saved a file, about 7 minutes, 700 megs, that consists of the profile, the original .ts file and the generated .mp4. You should be able to download it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4387717/sample.zip
If one of the devs wants to look at it and see if they can figure out whats going on with the sync.