Copy audio is ignored (confirmed 0.7.2-0.7.3)

Bug report and feature request
stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copy audio is ignored 0.7.2 (b4582+b4594)

Post by stanley » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 am

It's not a suggestion. I mean that is what mediacoder needs to be done in order to copy audio correctly when muxer is enabled.
When things work together, things work.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: Copy audio is ignored 0.7.2 (b4582+b4594)

Post by boardersparadise » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:25 am

I'm sorry Stanley, but I don't understand this. When you said "A workaround: disable muxer and choose ffmpeg or mencoder as video encoder." ... you suggested a workaround to me, so that's a suggestion, isn't it?

So, in short, did you mean
(1) there is nothing I can do but wait for a future MediaCoder version?
or
(2) I should use your suggested workaround (which doesn't work I think, as explained above) ?
Last edited by boardersparadise on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtechnology
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Copy audio is ignored (confirmed 0.7.2-0.7.3)

Post by dtechnology » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am

I've updated the starting post (and topic title) to make it more clear and up-to-date.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 am

good work, dtechnology.
given that you included the workaround suggested by stanley in your OP, I assume you understand what he meant?
Could you answer my earlier questions in that regard?

dtechnology
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dtechnology » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 am

You have to do two steps to still copy audio (with this bug). I have not tested this for myself but I think this is what stanley meant:
1. Disable muxer. You can do this in container -> check "Disabled" under Multiplexer (muxing is multiplexing, a muxer is a multiplexer)
2. Select FFmpeg or MEncoder as video coder. You can do this in video -> (check enable video ->) ( deselect auto select next to encoder ->) choose either one from the list next to "Encoder"

I'll update the start post to include this more verbose explanation

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

this does not make sense to me. A muxer would only be used if the output is video+audio. But as I said before, I disabled video to isolate the problem, so with only audio output the muxer is irrelevant, isn't it? Anyway, I disabled the muxer as suggested, but "copy audio" still does not copy the audio stream but transcodes it @ whatever bitrate you select on the audio codec tab.

I find Stanley's message a bit unclear, because at first he suggested a workaround
stanley wrote:A workaround: disable muxer and choose ffmpeg or mencoder as video encoder. ...
A workaround is "a temporary fix that solves a problem by the use of alternate methods or a change in procedures instead of or in anticipation of a program modification".
As it was labeled as a workaround, I therefore took it as a temporary suggestion to users. So did dtechnology ("You have to do two steps to still copy audio (with this bug)") and added it as "workaround 1" to the OP.

But the more I think about it, the more I get the impression that it was never meant as a workaround for us users here but rather as a "note-to-self" for Stanley's own to-do-list.

See:
stanley wrote:It's not a suggestion. I mean that is what mediacoder needs to be done in order to copy audio correctly when muxer is enabled.
Maybe a short word of clarification would be good to dispel the confusion created by these 2 (in my opinion) contradictory remarks.

luke
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Copy audio is ignored (confirmed 0.7.2-0.7.3.4614)

Post by luke » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Still, I didn't get it what has been sold as workaround here. Why does the simple audio copy function doesn't work anymore? It was working in older releases (7.0...7.1..), I do not remember which one. For example, creating an avi with xvid works only by disabling audio. when audio copy (AC3) is selected, the container doesn't show the video inside but audios plays...man, it sucks.

Can anyone explain how to come to container that has video and copied audio in it???
Or at least explain a temporary solution until the bug is fixed?

Thanks & Saludos.

defy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by defy » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 am

I`ve found the way to get audio copied - just by selecting MEncoder as multiplexer. Seems to work in 0.7.3.4640 x64, converting mkv to avi