Auto calculate correct resize height if I enter target width

Bug report and feature request
therealjoeblow
Beginner
Beginner

Auto calculate correct resize height if I enter target width

Post by therealjoeblow » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 am

When I convert widescreen material for my BlackBerry, up till now for simplest drag-and-drop useage, I have a profile that resizes to 320x240, and under Crop "Expand to Fit" is selected, and under Aspect Ration "Keep PAR" is selected.

This produces a file with the correct aspect ratio for *any* input (eg, 1280x720 [1.778:1], 1920x800 [2.40:1], etc) at 320x240 with black bars added above and below the video as necessary. *But*, I'd actually like to encode only the video frame with no black bars, in the correct aspect ratio.

So the process for that is manual every time, unless I missed something more automatic. I have to take note of the original input video's h & w dimensions, grab a calculator, do some quick math to figure what the A/R is (say it calculates to 2.35:1), and then divide 320 by that to get the proper height, which would be 136, and then set the Resize box to 320x136, and set the AR to Keep DAR.

It would be much nicer if there were options I could set where all I have to do is set the desired output width, and MediaCoder would do all of the math for me and set the proper height, crop, and maintain aspect ratio settings for me, and then encode a smaller widescreen version automatically. (Handbrake does this, but, well, it sucks compared to MC).

Cheers, and thanks for the consideration,
The REAL Joe
Cheers,
The REAL Joe