Watermarks with v7.1.0.4493

Bug report and feature request
DrTeeth
Amateur
Amateur

Watermarks with v7.1.0.4493

Post by DrTeeth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 am

Just converted a file, it now has a watermark, "To remove this watermark, do not use Mediacoder. They illegally rip off free software". It does not seem to be too frequent or last for too long, but I would imagine you will want to deal with it ASAP.

Cheers

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

torrtruk
Beginner
Beginner

**** watermark!

Post by torrtruk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:21 am

hi all. I just wanted to transcode a youtube vid. The output file to my surprise had a water mark sayijng "To remove this watermark, do not use mediacoder. They illegally rip off the software". Forgive me, this may not be the exact text but believe I got shocked. I don't know why it's there.

Seems like there's already a report here

The version reported there is same as mine and it's not occuring frequently. I tried to transcode 2 other videos but in vain.

This version was downloaded from mediacoderhq.com

DrTeeth
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Watermarks with v7.1.0.4493

Post by DrTeeth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:55 am

mixer wrote:Where did you get the version from? Was it from a MediaCoder official site?
Yes.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:02 am

This is very weird. Do you have any idea about the video source and video encoder (ffmpeg, mencoder etc.) used? If you don't, please give the detailed transcoding settings (your changed ones upon the defaults).
When things work together, things work.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 am

At this moment, I am still having no clue about which piece of free software added this watermark or if this really happens (I have never seen such watermark myself). There are two possiblilities. One is that a certain decoder or encoder or video filter applied the watermark when they detect the presence of MediaCoder. The other is that a certain media player or the decoder inside it detects the file is produced by MediaCoder and add the watermark while playing. As for the first case, it will be simple to fix, as long as the watermark applier is still really a piece of free software and open source as they claim what they are, because I will modify the source code to eliminate this watermark once I find out the criminal.

Bendejo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bendejo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I would just like to add that I am experiencing this as well (0.7.1.4493)

It just started happening when i specified to use FFmpeg as the source under the video tab.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related or not, but since I switched to this version (or perhaps since I updated my version of FFmpeg) I have been experiencing conversions errorring out randomly (no reason specified).
I'm going to try using a different source, maybe Bypass or MEncoder.

Hope this helps,
- Ben

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Bendejo wrote:I would just like to add that I am experiencing this as well (0.7.1.4493)

It just started happening when i specified to use FFmpeg as the source under the video tab.
FFmpeg seems evil. I am not ripping off it and letting the installer to download ffmpeg binary built by 3rd-party. Seems they are forcing me to rip off it.
Meanwhile, please try an earlier ffmpeg build from here.
Bendejo wrote:I would just like to add that I am experiencing this as well (0.7.1.4493)
I'm going to try using a different source, maybe Bypass or MEncoder.
Please try MEncoder. You can only use Bypass when the encoder has the ability to decoder your files, e.g. x264 can only decodes yuv and avs.

Bendejo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bendejo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Well, MediaCoder can MAKE USE of FFmpeg, which is very different from ripping off or stealing.

Integrating the FFmpeg libraries into your code without acknowledgment is a completely different thing than what you're doing.

Unfortunately though, if they have something against your use of it, there might not be much you can to do remove the watermark.

Bendejo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bendejo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:01 pm

stanley wrote:Please try MEncoder. You can only use Bypass when the encoder has the ability to decoder your files, e.g. x264 can only decodes yuv and avs.
Thanks, I didn't understand that part too well.
It happens that in this instance I am using AVS, so bypass will work for this one.

This is all stemming from some subs that didn't want to go away, even when i specified to disable subtitles.
It looks like I have it working now with AVS, without the subs, so it's all good.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Bendejo wrote:Integrating the FFmpeg libraries into your code without acknowledgment is a completely different thing than what you're doing.

Unfortunately though, if they have something against your use of it, there might not be much you can to do remove the watermark.
Yes, MediaCoder doesn't even redistribute FFmpeg now, not mentioning library-level integration.
If the whole ffmpeg is open-source, I will find the lines in the code doing this and remove it and even fork a ffmpeg.