Beginner

Re: Adware detected in installer

Post by Mopeto » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Dutch Baroque
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dutch Baroque » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 pm

There is indeed ad-ware in the downloaded version from SourceForce.Net .
I''m using F-Secure computer protection and found Relevant Knowledge with will be installed as a regular program .

Vboy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Vboy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:23 pm

I am hesitant to even download the latest version now :(

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Why ?

You know it is there, and you can delete it if you choose not to have it. Yes we know the installer should ask you and do as you instruct it to.

But in the mean time delete it, forget about it, and use the great mediacoder for your needs. After 41 posts on this forum you'll know how good mediacoder is by now i would think.

Mediacodet atm is better than those softwares where you know not what the adware code is, or where it is located.

Installing.

Install mediacoder delete the 'open candy folder' from install location (if not needed) - examples:

c:\program files\mediacoder\

If have installed and run mediacoder then delete the above and check these locations below.

documents and settings\user\application data\broad intelligence\
documents and settings\user\local settings\application data\broad intelligence\
documents and settings\user\local settings\temp

Yes it is needed abug fix to get the installer to work correctly, until then you know all that needed to know.

There's a few topics about this, like those below:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7259
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6863

What is needed is for the developers to make a decision for the best way forward of mediacoder. Then tell us all what it will be. While also been more pro active and open on this forum, that way the users will gain trust with mediacoder and the developers. What do you say mediacoder team ?

Vboy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Vboy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:08 am

Dude i already know mediacoder is great, thats why i always used to recommend it to people who needed a good solid media transcoder.

But its all about the good faith i had in mediacoder that has been broken.

I downloaded 4399 and installed it as usual. I was never given any explicit visual info during the installation that it had opencandy adware. It might had been mentioned in the license agreement, i usually read license agreement for any new software i try out but i had so much trust in mediacoder that i usually skip reading it during its installation. I was surfing the net when i came across a few forums where a few users were reporting malware found in mediacoder. I was initially like oh they might have downloaded it from a warez site. Then i come to this forum and find a few threads about adware.

Its unfortunate that my antivirus didn't detect it. I downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware and did a full system scan and sure enough it found the adware.

Sure i can just delete the adware file and use the mediacoder, but i don't like adwares,spywares etc. and i am sure many others agree too. Malware produces too much stink on the internet :|

There are certain things i can and certain things i can't. And this is definitely an situation where i can opt to not use it.

But anyway your opinions might differ, but i am sticking with mine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanley, please this an earnest request. No malware of any type in mediacoder. If u want to make money then make it trialware and a freeware with a few features disabled or something similar :(

But if you don't or can't remove the adware, then i am afraid i have to jump ship.

Vboy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Vboy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Mixer thanks alot for replying.

Thanks for the tip. I totally forgot about 7z. I was using it earlier, but i think stanley temporarily stopped it during the 0.7.0 version. So i switched to the installer one to use the latest version and eventually as stated forgot.

And sorry about the outburst in the previous post, its just that i have an unpleasant experience with spyware,adware etc. I am sure many others have similar experiences. This adware will only alienate users even if it claims to be harmless. And i don't want that to happen to such a good software.

Stanley hope you make a good decision here.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 am

I know two people who just won't install it no matter, and think i'm stupid doing so.

So maybe Stanley has got it all wrong, adware is keeping keeping would be users away - who knows ?

Sure would be nice to have no such crap in mediacoder. But then you all get way more than i do, since i will not use it on a internet active pc with the crap it has in it.

Thought the two people mentioned above. Each have only one pc to use, Maybe that's the reason why. Don't want to have adware installed on an internet pc, maybe they should install the 7z package, i will tell them.