Dual video side-by-side for comparison

Bug report and feature request

Do you think this feature should be implemented ?

Yes. Are you kidding me, what are they waiting for ?
75%
Yes. Seems like a reasonable feature to implement.
25%
No. There's no way anyone would get any real-world use from this feature.
No votes
No. For other reasons. (Please leave a comment)
No votes

Total votes: 4

optimus
Amateur
Amateur

Dual video side-by-side for comparison

Post by optimus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Anyone else thinks the real time comparison of the original and transcoded video is a must for a media coder ? MediaCoder currently offers a way to play both input and output videos but only one by one. And you can't even seek the original video. There has to be a better way than this: Both videos, side-by-side.

I've checked for a way to do this, unfortunately, unless you start-up two player at once there's no way to do it, actually not even then, because of the delay. Since there's nothing similar out there, this would really be useful for the MC community, and perhaps not only - depends on how you'll implement this suggestion.

Bottom line: One seeker, two videos. Maybe a button to allow you switch between which one's audio if any should be on.

Thanks a lot !

jahwoto
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Dual video side-by-side for comparison

Post by jahwoto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:37 am

It would be even more informative to not do it side by side but a difference video
Where each pixel is the difference between the pixel in the first video and second video.
And being able to multiply the difference to be able to see the smallest differences there are.
(And with reduced maximum for avoiding not seeing small differences because big differences give too much light.)
(With no difference being black.)

This difference video would be more useful than a side by side comparison.

optimus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by optimus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 am

Great Idea jahwoto ! That way you could actually tell if you lost anything in regards of quality. But maybe we could take this a step further. How about watching the original or the resulted video next to the difference one ? And when I say OR I'm talking about user choice. Two panels, and options for the user to choose from, is what I'd aim at. Any other ideas ?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 am

Actually there is such a feature in 0.7, though still experimental.
When things work together, things work.

velis
Amateur
Amateur

Post by velis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 am

0.7.0 has this feature in the Playback menu (Play comparison). XULPlayer seems to be able to do it. Seeking also works and there's a handy synchronize button as well. However, watching two videos side by side tells you next to nothing.

I suggest you simply create an aviSynth script and Subtract() both videos. Full luma parameter enhances the differences so you can see them better, analyze parameter just displays the numbers if you don't trust your eyes enough.