Pause transcoding

Bug report and feature request
Inara
Beginner
Beginner

Pause transcoding

Post by Inara » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:40 am

Hello :D
I use the program "MediaCoder" to convert my videos and audios. Is really excellent in conversion quality as in size of files. Congratulations to the author. You are excellent.
My problem or rather doubt, it is if exists the possibility of interrupting the transcoding of a video and to continue it later, on the next day for example. It is that sometimes, it takes him too much time to make a file (between 7 or 8 hours, a file of 700 mb) and, since I do not have the computer turn on the whole day, it would be much more practical if it I could put "pause" and continue the next day, or re-loads what already convert of the video and continues from there. I have tried with the button of "pause", but always overwrite what already had turned and it begins of zero again.
There exists some way of doing it?
I hope that you could help me. Thank you.

hyate
Beginner
Beginner

Pause transcode and put system into 'Standby'

Post by hyate » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 am

Hi Inara

I find that I can pause coding and place my computer into 'Standby' instead of 'Turning Off', you can then successfully resume when you turn the computer on again!

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:18 am

Standby could be a bit problematic (energy loss = loss of all your work). Try to use hibernation. It's the same as standby except the data isn't written into your computers ram but into the harddisk. This way even after a unwanted power loss you will be able to resume work where you stopped it.
To go into hibernation go to the shutdown menu and hold shift while it's open. Instead of Standby you will see Hibernate (assuming you are using Windows XP).
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska