LUA issues

Bug report and feature request
Bahamut
Amateur
Amateur

LUA issues

Post by Bahamut » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:13 am

Before I start, I'll give my OS/app information:
Windows Vista Home Premium (v6.0.6001.18063)
MediaCoder 0.6.1.4190
I typically run everything under a separate standard account with UAC on (why I have both UAC and a separate account).

First:
I get a message stating that MC cannot access system font information. Obviously, normal users have read access to system fonts, so MC must be trying to (at least potentially) change things here. Not good. If I run with XP compatibility, I do not get the message. My guess is that Vista redirects the request to a user folder.

Second:
prefs.xml and mccore.xml, which seem to be the main preferences files are in the installation folder. This is very, very bad! This means that only admins can change preferences, and that every user will have the same configuration. All preferences should be in a user folder (%appdata%), unless they need to be system-wide, in which case the registry or some other folder (%systemdrive%\ProgramData seems to fulfill this purpose under Vista; dunno what other Windows OSes use) would be appropriate. There are a few other things in the installation folder that shouldn't be there either (lang.xml, mccodecs.xml, the entire xulapp folder). This is likely the heart of most, if not all Vista issues that MC has, since even admins don't have write access to the installation folder by default without explicit elevation of privileges.
Last edited by Bahamut on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Using an administrator account on Vista Ultimate 32 bit (no uac) everything besides the firefox 3 problem works the way it's expected. And I do have write access to the installation folder witouth taking ownership of it.

Still valid points that need investigation.
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

Bahamut
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bahamut » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:27 am

SirAuron wrote:And I do have write access to the installation folder witouth taking ownership of it.
%programfiles% is owned by the group Administrators by default.

Bahamut
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bahamut » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 pm

Is this being worked on? I'm no programmer, but I don't think it would be terribly difficult.