b05.21.2008 of 4111 does not transcode, b05.20.2008 does

Bug report and feature request
Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

b05.21.2008 of 4111 does not transcode, b05.20.2008 does

Post by Fallen Again » Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Just happened to download the latest build (today 05.21.2008) of .4111 and for whatever reason, using the exact same settings I have for build 05.20.2008's .4111, it simply will not transcode (even the testing phase fails). I performed the installation of today's build on two seperate servers and was able to successfully reproduce the error on both boxes. Just thought I would give you guys the heads up. I'm hoping that there wasn't anything flakey in the 05.20.2008's build release to prompt having to rebuild .4111 a day later... lol

I've only attempted performing today's transcode tests by trying to convert .avi into .mp4 (nero aac audio, h264 video), so I'm not sure if the transcode failures I've experienced today affect any other input / output file formats.

Do let me know please :)

I'm loving the program otherwise (I've been able to successfully transcode many, many files). There are only two other issues I can think of with it. The first being if you attempt to join .mpeg1 files together (while using both the 'copy audio' / 'copy video' settings), mediacoder will actually wipe out the source mpeg files (leaving their file size set to 0 megs). If the software does not successfully perform the build, you essentially are left with your source files being destroyed (luckily i had performed a backup of my source files beforehand) :P

Not sure if the above join issue exists for other filetypes, I've predominantly been using mediacoder solely for converting .avi, .mkv, .ogm files to .mp4 (nero aac audio / .h264 video).

The second issue I've noticed is with specific regards to transcoding .mkv files with .ogg audio into .mp4. It seems for whatever reason, the software will always choke approx 33% of the way into each of these specific file types (I've tested it with approx 100 different mkv files with .ogg audio and was able to reproduce this problem each and every time). It's strange because working with .ogm files (that obviously have .ogg audio) is seamless, the program works flawlessly. My way to get around the .mkv problem is to process both the video and audio streams for the mkv files seperately (so when I do video, I simply uncheck the audio processing and vice versa). It would be nice though if mediacoder could work as seamlessly with mkv files of this nature as it does with .avi and .ogm files.

This program is incredible though, I appreciate all the effort and time spent by you and your staff to make such an incredibly powerful, and robust software. If your development team manages to be able to fix the mkv issue, I think I can wholeheartedly say that mediacoder is a flawless solution for mp4 transcoding.

Cheers

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu May 22, 2008 8:07 pm

There are several minor issues (like build number mismatch) in the 4111 so I re-uploaded the files for 3 times. The one uploaded on May 22 should work without such problem.
When things work together, things work.

Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fallen Again » Thu May 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Downloaded May.22.2008 00:18:36 build of .4111 and the problem is still there actually (performed a full clean install and a reboot before loading up files to process in the gui console).

The logger essentially says this:

[05-22 07:01:36] x264 loaded
[05-22 07:01:36] Starting encoder (x264)
[05-22 07:01:36] Starting encoder (Nero Encoder)
[05-22 07:02:38] x264 unloaded
[05-22 07:02:38] Error occurred during video transcoding.

and the software simply does not process. Let me know when you put up a newer build and I will test that one out as well. Performed today's test on two seperate servers just to make sure.

Reverted back to 05.20.2008 01:11:13 build and it is processing again successfully. If you need I can give you a detailed account of the settings I use so that you can attempt to reproduce the error locally (I'm currently only processing .avi -> .mp4).

Hope this helps!

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat May 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Looks like the bug of x264 build.
I've rebuilt x264 and this problem is solved. An updated release will be uploaded soon.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Please confirm if 4112 has fixed this. It works on my end.

Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fallen Again » Sun May 25, 2008 9:46 pm

b4112 does indeed work correctly (tried it on 5 encoding servers, everything seems to be working fine!)

Thank you very much for your attention in this matter.

Also, should I add to this thread about any additional behavioural bugs that I find? Or should I make new threads in the bug forum.

For example, I notice that if I leave the gui running for a day or two minimized to the taskbar (so give or take, it has been transcoding say 100+ files or so), and i hover my mouse over the mediacoder icon on my taskbar, the program auto terminates (making it a bit of an issue in terms of bringing the gui's queue up to date with what in actuality has been processed.. as it reverts back to the last known queue status ~ before the auto termination).

Another issue I noticed is that unless I leave an instance of mediacoder on while performing a new update (up to the point of where it asks me to shut down mediacoder), my prior settings in the software become wiped out. Is this adviseable? (me leaving the software on during an installation procedure), or should it be terminated (i.e. are the preserved settings a result of many files not being overwritten that should be?). Please let me know.

The other bug issues I mentioned in my first post above, are they well known by you and your development team?

Thanks again for your time in addressing my questions :)

Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fallen Again » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Well it looks like I've found another bug, seems that the more recent versions of mediacoder now choke / crash if you attempt to process a film that has 'windows media video 9' (wmv9) video streams. I have attempted to install the latest 'extra codecs pack' you have listed on your site, and it doesn't really seem to affect the outcome of how the software responds to files of this nature.

Essentially the following behaviours occur:

A) If i attempt to drag and drop a file with wmv9 video into the program's gui.. it simply freezes and crashes (forcing me to have to end task).

B) If a file of this nature happens to be in a processing queue, the program will simply stop transcoding (so it will idle) once it reaches the file in question in the queue.

Any ideas on how I can fix this would be great.. so far I've ran into this issue when processing avis and mkvs with wmv9 video (attempting to transcode them into h264 / nero aac audio mp4 files)

Also, it'd be great if you could take a moment to address my other questions / enquiries above, just so I know where you guys stand on those issues.

Thanks!

Will report any new / additional bugs that I find in this thread as I come across them I guess.

Cheers

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Try removing mediainfo.dll. The crash is likely to caused by it. It is called to retrieve some detail information of media files.

Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fallen Again » Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for the prompt reply Stanley, I will try the fix you suggested (i'll just change the file extension of the .ini in question and restart the program) as soon as the current batches I have going finish up (should be in a day or so). Will write my experience with the fix here as soon as I test it out :)

Fallen Again
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fallen Again » Sat May 31, 2008 11:58 pm

Unfortunately the fix you suggested did not work. I've tried it on a few machines but it does not seem to make a difference.

A) I've made sure to install the latest mediacoder. (b4112)

B) I've installed the latest extra codecs / media pack you have listed on your website (is this even necessary for what I'm attempting to do?, i noticed that this does list wmv / wma decoders)

C) I've renamed 'mediainfo.dll' to 'mediainfo.dll.bak' (thus disabling it, but making it still available in the file listing if i need to turn it back on)

The issues remain the same however, dragging and dropping the file into the gui causes a complete freezing of the software, and if the file is in the queue and mediacoder gets through the list to that file, it simply stops transcoding.

I know 100% this problem was not there with earlier versions of mediacoder, I just can't remember how far back a build I need to go to get the functionality working again. Do you plan on actually addressing this problem in a newer build of mediacoder? This is for avi / mkv files that happen to have wmv9 for their video stream (windows media video 9).

Please let me know, and if you have any other suggestions on any other fixes that may make this problem go away, please don't hesitate to tell me!

Cheers