[0.5.0pre9] Less 'aggressive' update check

Bug report and feature request
Prodoc
Amateur
Amateur

[0.5.0pre9] Less 'aggressive' update check

Post by Prodoc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 am

I noticed that when there's an update available the browser gets opened right away. I like it that the program is able to check for updates automatically but opening a browser window directly after starting the program feels a bit 'aggressive'. It think it's better to present people with a dialog, informing them of a new update and providing them with an option to download it or not.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:58 am

Why can't your treat the browser window as a dialog?

Prodoc
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prodoc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:39 pm

stanley wrote:Why can't your treat the browser window as a dialog?
Because it interferes with what people are doing besides using mediacoder. In my case it creates a new tab in an open browser window in Firefox and resizes that window. If I have it maximized it will make it smaller, if I have it minimized it will pop up and show it in a small window while I had it maximized before.
I call it aggressive behaviour because it feels just like spyware this way. Like when you are infected with spyware which cause pop-ups with ads being displayed on actions where you don't expect a browser window to be opened.

Presenting people with a dialog first is a much cleaner solution. It gives people the chance to deside what they want at that moment instead of getting the update in an almost forced manner.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 pm

Ok I will improve it.