playback incorrect leads to bad transcode

Bug report and feature request
realspkr
Beginner
Beginner

playback incorrect leads to bad transcode

Post by realspkr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:11 am

I am working to transcode a VOB from a DVD I created with iDVD on a Macintosh using MediaCoder 0.6.0.3905 for Windows XP.

Initially I loaded in the VOB and set video to Quality Based (100) MPEG4.MP4 and Nero LLC-AAC Target Quality (100). I hit start and an MP4 was output. The problems are thus:
The video output was squat, that is it's ratio is different than the input and the stream is skewed to fit. (This appears to be an aspect ratio problem. I'll check the MP4 container data when I'm done and report back.)
The video playback appears too fast but audio plays in correct time.

I went back and just hit "play" on the non-transcoded stream and it too plays back incorrectly and there is weird flashing during playback that coincides with changes in images but the ratio problem is gone.

TO validate the initial media, I tested the VOB as follows:
Windows Media Player: Works fine
VLC: Works fine
Media Player Classic: Same time distortion, but image is correct ratio.
Nero ShowTime: Works Correctly

Any thoughts on this? I'll run another VOB through and report back but I think there is enough to go on for now...

realspkr
Beginner
Beginner

Post by realspkr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am

Small update:
mp4box is crashing when I try to convert another of the VOB files thus the transcode fails.

I can not download the 0.6.1 version as no actual link is given on the mirrors page -- but I do get a generic page error!

The H and V are correct for the pixel count, but media info shows the ratio is 1.50. I have not looked into the internal tables to see where this is happening so I can not be any help there.