Classic settings dialog

Bug report and feature request
ramian
Beginner
Beginner

Classic settings dialog

Post by ramian » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi,

I'd like to request that the classic settings dialog be provided as an option to those who (like me) would rather not have Firefox installed on their computers. I use Opera and am more than happy with it and would rather not have Firefox installed on my system. If the integrated Firefox browser is not installed, MediaCoder should revert to using the classic settings dialog instead. Now, if I don't install the integrated Firefox browser, I can't access the settings at all. I have since gone back to using 0.3.9 and will carry on doing so until this option is provided to users upon installation.

Thanks!

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:03 am

The organization of preference data has totally been changed. So if you need the original dialog, I will have to re-implement it. I can make Firefox optional and if it is not installed, your default browser will be used to display the "Settings" interface.

ramian
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ramian » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it that you take users' suggestions.

While I'd still prefer the original preferences dialog, having my default browser (be it Opera or IE) open the settings interface would be a good alternative.

Thanks!

jesus2099
Beginner
Beginner

XULRunner : no need for Firefox

Post by jesus2099 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:13 am

If you don't want Firefox on your machine, you can just install XULRunner and then click on menu Options > Browser setup and type :
C:\Program Files\Mozilla XULRunner\xulrunner.exe
This XULRunner should be in the MediaCoder setup because I really don't see why people should install a new browser for a video application. It should at least be cited instead of Firefox in the Browser Setup, doc and FAQ.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:02 am

It's because many people are already using firefox. While almost everyone would have to install xulrunner maybe only half (or less) of the users have to install firefox. Stanley is also trying to keep the install setup as small as possible, which is why he integrates neither of the programs.
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

jesus2099
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jesus2099 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:15 am

Better would be not to need external widget to set the settings.

If impossible, better would be to point to XULRunner (in the error message), instead of urging to install yet another web browser although we didn't plan to browse the web but to just set settings.

I'm not sure Firefox's makers would like using the same technique as IE (enforcing) to spread their browser.

For your information, I use Opera and I don't plan to switch to Firefox.
There are also tons of people who use IE and wouldn't want to change browser for something else than enhancing their web browsing experience.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 am

The choice of using FF or XULRunner has to be optional.

I don't download every new version, but I certainly am not going to upgrade any faster if I have to download 5 extra mb for no reason each time, when I don't need it.