Amateur
Amateur

Post by comodo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:32 am

When did you add the adsbox

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Since 0.5.0 pre4, it's Google ads and never keeps anything on your disk.

comodo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by comodo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:10 am

stanley wrote:Since 0.5.0 pre4, it's Google ads and never keeps anything on your disk.
This information should be on the download page.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:01 pm

I think this is a VERY VERY friendly ads. Without pictures, very small area, and doesn't show up unless you make detailed settings. Actually you can regard it as some useful links rather than ads.
I've continued developing this software for almost one year, without getting paid for anything, except for donation which is only about $180 up to now. The google ads is the only income I get during the development of MediaCoder that really counts.

comodo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by comodo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:16 am

stanley wrote:I think this is a VERY VERY friendly ads. Without pictures, very small area, and doesn't show up unless you make detailed settings. Actually you can regard it as some useful links rather than ads.
I've continued developing this software for almost one year, without getting paid for anything, except for donation which is only about $180 up to now. The google ads is the only income I get during the development of MediaCoder that really counts.

I'm not saying the ads shouldn't be there only you tell people this is ad supported software before they download.

What I'm curios about is how much revenue google ads are going to generate in a non web application.

bennyda
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bennyda » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:33 pm

I can't reach the download page. Mozila reports an error 404.

vijay

Le T800
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Le T800 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:51 pm

comodo wrote:I'm not saying the ads shouldn't be there only you tell people this is ad supported software before they download.

What I'm curios about is how much revenue google ads are going to generate in a non web application.
Firefox is a web browser, remember hehe. About the ad, I think it's a quite fair one: almost non intrusive, because small and only noticeable when browsing options pages. Also coding such a good program with few support and keeping it free is nice from Stanley so I'm sure most of users won't care about this small ad.

comodo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by comodo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Le T800 wrote: Firefox is a web browser, remember hehe. About the ad, I think it's a quite fair one: almost non intrusive, because small and only noticeable when browsing options pages. Also coding such a good program with few support and keeping it free is nice from Stanley so I'm sure most of users won't care about this small ad.

Gecko is being used to display mediacoders GUI not as a webbroswer so it doesn't need internet access to function.

As adware goes this is harmless but users should be told before downloading.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:37 am

I don't think this can be called adware.
No native code within the scope of the program is for retrieving/saving/displaying ads. And what's important, you can easily remove the ads without rebuilding the software, if you know something about JavaScript.
Last edited by stanley on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:41 am

Le T800 wrote: Firefox is a web browser, remember hehe. About the ad, I think it's a quite fair one: almost non intrusive, because small and only noticeable when browsing options pages. Also coding such a good program with few support and keeping it free is nice from Stanley so I'm sure most of users won't care about this small ad.
I'm really grateful for your understanding. On the other hand, I have thought over a lot for the users' feeling. I myself hate software with big ugly ads bars in the interface.