some mp3s are cut when transcoding

Bug report and feature request
ror
Beginner
Beginner

some mp3s are cut when transcoding

Post by ror » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 am

First off, sorry for my bad english. I have the following problem (which i think is a bug):

When re-encoding mp3s from various (higher of course) bitrates to 160 CBR, i noticed that some files are cut before the end (while others, even from the same albums/encoding sessions, re-encode just fine).

(will post screenshots/example files in next message)

I noticed that, for these files and only for them, infos in sidebar are displayed incorrectly. For example, song1.mp3's actual bitrate is ~283kbps VBR, but it's displayed as a 64kbps file. Song2.mp3 is ~213kbps VBR but it's displayed as a 128kbps file. Also durations are wrong, song1 = 2'55'' but MC sidebar says it's 155 sec long, which is the duration of the transcoded (and cut) file. BUT, when i click on Properties, both the bitrate and the duration are shown correctly.

I've tried transcoding the same files with other programs which use LAME 3.97, and the resulting files aren't cut, so i guess it's definitely not an encoder problem.

This problem leads me to an off-topic request: can anyone suggest me an utility that will scan mp3s and try to tell if they're cut at the ending? IE, by checking if there's silence or not at the end of the track. I've tried with EncSpot and Mp3Test but they don't see any errors (since the files are not "technically" corrupt, i guess).

ror
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ror » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 am

Here's my settings:

And here's a 14mb zip file containing the two example mp3 files i talked about in the previous post (in their "original", not transcoded/cut version).

ror
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ror » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Update: it seems that only the latest build (3855) is affected by this bug. I reverted back to build 3670 and it transcoded those files without any error. Hope you'll fix this in next builds :)

Post by guest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:11 am

Thanx ror,

I had similar problems and the same build; after the update it worked well.

Maik