Bug report and feature request
nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Hanging while trimming MP3 file [FIXED]

Post by nagan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi,
Instance 1
This occurence I find in the present 5380 x 64 build and also the previous ones. I wanted to offset the start time of an MP3 file by 20 sec. The settings are video -disable (should not matter if enable is checked). And copy audio and all the boxes ticked. The images are attached. The container has been set to default , but should not matter even if it is avi or mp4 as the output should only be MP3. Mediacoder HANGS while trying to transcode.

Instance 2
I have been using 4399 without much of problems as I mentioned in one of my earlier threads. But while FULL COPY of audio files only , the bitrate present in the box is carried over . So if the original file was 128bit , on copy it should produce 128bit , but it takes the value of 32 if present in the box. I suspect this would have been carried into the present version too , but I could not test it as mentioned in instance 1. At the same time the bit rates of audio/video of a video file are reproduced properly on copy ie in 4399.

nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Hanging while trimming MP3 file

Post by nagan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Do I need to attach any additional info / details. Is this a known issue? Thanks!

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm

MediaCoder is not an audio editor but it is able to trim (sometimes).
It may well be that trimming is possible only if encoding is applied (not "Copy").
This may require some experimenting.
I might try if I get the time.

In the meantime you should try some experimentation. Try trimming with and without Copy.
Also try different containers, such as "Default" or Raw Stream ...
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by nagan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:27 am

meRobs wrote:MediaCoder is not an audio editor but it is able to trim (sometimes).
I might try if I get the time.

In the meantime you should try some experimentation. Try trimming with and without Copy.
ALos try different containers, such as "Default" or Raw Stream ...

I was able to manipulate audios in mediacoder without any issues before. So I think Mediacoder is also an audio editor :wink:

Coming to the issue , I selected a abc.mp3 file of 320kbps and did the follwing tests

1. Convert it to .mp3 @ 32kbps--- Done
2.Increase the decibel level to +5 and also offset the start time by 25 sec @32kbps and .mp3 -- Done
3.Transcode it to .mp3 @ the original 320kbps -- Done
4.Transcode it to .mp4a ,windows media file ---- Done (but checked .mp4a returning 106kbps against 320kbps)

5.Try to use the COPY command ,and conversion to .mp3 or .mp4a or wma ---FAILS and MEDAICODER has to be shutdown.

6.Tried to transcode @ 32kbps into .ac3 file .. Almost hangs.

I can confirm that in the earlier versions of MC copy command would work for MP3 file except with the glaring error of taking the bitrate mentioned in the box and not the original one.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:19 pm

If you want to make any change to the audio (change volume etc.), you can't enable audio copy anyway.
When things work together, things work.

nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by nagan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 pm

stanley wrote:If you want to make any change to the audio (change volume etc.), you can't enable audio copy anyway.
Yes that is right. But If I had to maintain all the settings and just change the start time copy is a great option , which infact works for media (audio + video) files. Also I can get another extension with the same setting. So infact it is a terrific feature. By the way earlier versions say 4399 did not hang on MP3 copy (ofcourse except for the bitrate bug was which I mentioned earlier).

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 am

nagan wrote: ...
5.Try to use the COPY command ,and conversion to .mp3 or .mp4a or wma ---FAILS and MEDAICODER has to be shutdown.
6.Tried to transcode @ 32kbps into .ac3 file .. Almost hangs. .....
Obviously, you cannot Convert (change) and Copy (no change) at the same time.
So, item 6 is your only problem -- unable to convert to AC3 at the very low bitrate of 32 kbps.

As a check, I just converted an MP3 file to AC3 via FFmpeg at 32 kbps and 44.1 kHz and it worked.
The output file played, although, MediaCoder x64 5355 threw up a 404 error message?
??!!
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by nagan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm

meRobs wrote:
nagan wrote: ...
6.Tried to transcode @ 32kbps into .ac3 file .. Almost hangs. .....
Obviously, you cannot Convert (change) and Copy (no change) at the same time.
So, item 6 is your only problem -- unable to convert to AC3 at the very low bitrate of 32 kbps.

As a check, I just converted an MP3 file to AC3 via FFmpeg at 32 kbps and 44.1 kHz and it worked.
The output file played, although, MediaCoder x64 5355 threw up a 404 error message?
??!!
In 4399, copy takes the parameters , BITRATE , sampling etc, but ultimately it makes a copy of whatever you have opted for in the Audio ( the right half tabs) , which you enter in the format and ofcourse ONLY THE TIME adjustments EXCEPT the BUG THAT IT ALSO TAKES IN THE BITRATE WHICH IS PRESENT IN THE BOX WHICH IS WRONG. This is how it works in 4399 and it is fine except for the bitrate error. So my earlier statement of "COPY"and "CONVERT" means the chosen destination format.
If you experiment with a copy video file , in 5380 , COPY (video and Audio) will ultimately get you the file extension with the CONTAINER you have choosen.
Since 5380 hangs when a pure audio mp3 file is tried to be copied , I can presume it is a bug. When ultimately it is attended to the request is that the bitrate error copy (found in earlier versions) in Audio files is also taken care of...

Also there are various terms, format , encoder ,source tabs present both in the video and audio tabs. Could you please guide me to a tutorial that gives the exact significance of the terms. I could spot some more inconsistencies even in the copy and format which I could better explain when I understand these terms better. Thankyou.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm

MediaCoder is simply a User Interface that allows the user to make audio/video conversions via a number of utilities or sub-programs that lie 'under the hood', as it were. These utilities, such as MEncoder and FFmpeg, do all the work.
As I mentioned above, MediaCoder is not an editor, although, it allows a few editing-like operations as a side effect or bonus.

MediaCoder links up the utilities internally and allows the user to tweek this combination via the various tabs.
Often, the 'bugs' are due to one or more of the utilities and all the developer can do is await their next update.
However, it is often the update that causes the problem !!
Sometimes, as a result, the latest build of MediaCoder with the latest updates may cause a failure that wasn't preset in earlier builds. We then either revert to the eailier build or modify the settings on the latest build so that we can still get a suitable output.

I would like to point out that the function of this Forum is not to highlight differences between how MediaCoder works and how we imagine it works. The aim of the Forum is to help each other to get MediaCoder to do the conversions we want. This often requires that we choose different Encoders, Sources, Multiplexers, Sampling Frequency, etc, than the ones we first chose.

A "Source" is a decoder which interprets the data in a file so that the "Encoder" can then convert it.

nagan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by nagan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 pm

meRobs wrote:MediaCoder is simply a User Interface that allows the user to make audio/video conversions via a number of utilities or sub-programs that lie 'under the hood', as it were. These utilities, such as MEncoder and FFmpeg, do all the work.
As I mentioned above, MediaCoder is not an editor, although, it allows a few editing-like operations as a side effect or bonus.
................... We then either revert to the eailier build or modify the settings on the latest build so that we can still get a suitable output.

I would like to point out that the function of this Forum is not to highlight differences between how MediaCoder works and how we imagine it works. ...........................
First of all let me clarify that my participation is only intended to be constructive and supportive mutually. The posts in this thread have been general observations and some have been the results of what I have been asked to try for. :) I am not making any demands except to highlight what I thought of as anomalies. The reference to a older version is just for an inference which generally is the method followed which I even see in this very forum and elsewhere.
I guess the "bug" term is not a good one and generally disliked and I get the message. :wink: