How to vob to avi with subs and AC3 Sound

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
mercslk
Beginner
Beginner

How to vob to avi with subs and AC3 Sound

Post by mercslk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:24 am

Hello,

It's a nice complex, "you find out yourself program". Would be nice to have some guide with this program. Have tried numerous combinations but can't get a final product.

I want to convert vob files to an avi format with ac3 sound and subs using the cuda decoder. Until now I only got .mp4 or .264 files without sound.

Nor an avi file was created. Can somebody help me with the settings to get a complete finished product.

FatGuy
Beginner
Beginner

Re: How to vob to avi with subs and AC3 Sound

Post by FatGuy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

First of all you should consider using mkv container format instead of avi.
It is far more flexible wrt all kind of stream formats (and since subtitles seem important for you...)

Secondly: why do you need ac3 audio? I would recommend aac instead. nice compression efficiency, good quality and multiple channels possible.

If your results are *.mp4 and *.264 this already seems fine.

I assume the .264 is the video stream and the mp4 is the audio stream (most possibly aac format?)

All you have to do is mux them together into one mkv (or avi for heavens sake) container.

Honestly I do not know how this is done in mediacoder. I personally use mediacoder only for the vodeo transcoding.
There are quite some tools available on the net to get the job done, e.g. MKVmerge

Cheers
FG