Beginner's Question about CUDA Encoder

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
edsmaffs
Beginner
Beginner

Beginner's Question about CUDA Encoder

Post by edsmaffs » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:08 am

To get the CUDA Encoder set up, do I need to install any kind of new driver from nVidia, or is it just a case of selecting the CUDA encoder under the H.264 selection window? That's what I've done so far, but it seems to be encoding at about the same speed as when it was just done through x264 (with an AMD Phenom X4 Processor).

Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to work out how to use everything in MediaCoder, hoping I can get it to work well with my 9800GTX+.

guildmaster
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Beginner's Question about CUDA Encoder

Post by guildmaster » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 am

As long as you have one of the lastest versions of the nVidia drivers installed, the CUDA driver should be installed too. Just make sure the Auto Select is turned off for the Encoder, and it's selected to CUDA. I got the older 9800GTX card, and it's pretty quick. A 720x480/576 24 minute DVD file gets converted in about 4-5 minutes. Press F6 to view the console window, if you don't see # ".\codecs\cudaH264Enc.exe" when you start an encode, then something is configured wrong.

edsmaffs
Beginner
Beginner

Post by edsmaffs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:57 am

*feels incredibly stupid...*

I'd forgotten to set the encoder box to CUDA, I'd just selected it on the right-hand tab.

However, I'm getting different problems now. The console box says that H.264 Encoding is "Yes" next to the video card, so I presume that means that CUDA is set up properly. However, I'm getting Errors 14 and 15 when I try to convert a video file using it. I can't see ".\codecs\cudaH264Enc.exe" written anywhere in the console box; the last message is "Unknown Input File Type". I don't get this error with the x264 encoder; I'm trying to convert an MKV file to AVI.

Would posting the entire output from the console box help?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:08 am

Does using MP4 container work for you?
When things work together, things work.