Cuda encoder not showing up

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
Urisk
Beginner
Beginner

Cuda encoder not showing up

Post by Urisk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi,

I've got the problem, that the CUDA h264 encoder doesn't show up in my list of available codecs. The list looks like this:

I've searched the wiki on this site and the boards, but couldn't find a solution. After considering the option that it might have been a manifestation of this encoder-expired thing sometimes appearing on the boards I tried setting the system date to something slightly in the past without any positive effect.

I also got the trial version of badaboom to see whether there is some fundamental issue with my GFX card or nvidia drivers that I might have overlooked. Badaboom however works perfectly fine. (apart from it offering virtually no options and no support for relevant container formats whatsoever of course... ;) )

Thanks for any help in advance!

(EDIT: btw: The cudaH264Enc.exe is in the codecs folder of mediacoder. I tried to run it just to see whether it gives some commandline-message providing a hint to what may be wrong. The only thing I got was an error message mentioning a missing nvcuvenc.dll. I'm confused. :/ )

t4410jr
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Cuda encoder not showing up

Post by t4410jr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:41 pm

I believe you just didn't go far enough on the setup. Select H.264 for the Format, and then below in the Encoder field you will be able to choose CUDA Encoder. Good Luck though, since I'm only here to research why the Cuda encoder has expired and when it will be updated.

Urisk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Urisk » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Unfortunately that was not the reason. Also I just tried a full installation just for the case that there may have been some undocumented dependency or something unlikely like that, but that didn't help, either. I made sure I've got everything updated (windows updates, gfx drivers ... even directx ^^), but that too didn't help. :( The cuda codec just won't show up.

I guess even when the expiration-problem is solved by the developers this issue won't go away, will it?

(btw: This expiration thing is strange, too ... considering nvidia still advertises the mediacoder as a CUDA-enabled application in the respective cathegory of their homepage. It's like saying: "Hey look! This thing is great! It shows what our stuff can do. We just don't offer it anymore...^^" ... at least assuming nvidia is somewhat linked to this expiration-issue, but I guess exactly that's the case. (?) )

EDIT: however after the attempts mentioned above the error message regarding the missing dll when launching the cudaH264Enc.exe file directly has gone away. A little, albeit irrelevant success, as the cuda encoder still doesn't show up.

briantokyo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by briantokyo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:14 am

Same problem here, it won't show up. I've reinstalled and everything seems in order, but the cuda encoder doesn't appear in the list. XFX 9800GX2 on windows 7 x64 rtm

a289458
Beginner
Beginner

Post by a289458 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 am

uninstall mediacoder and
reinstall with full edition not the update

rdkls
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rdkls » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Exactly the same problem - CUDA H264 just doesn't show up.
Have tried with builds 4588 and 4535.
Any idea what's going on Stan?

FYI I am a new user (preferring linux), brought here after a lot of research and trying the competitors out there
(badaboom wasn't bad, got me ~100fps, once I got an older version which didn't crash on me, but the lack of batch is the main killer, otherwise I'd pay for it ....)
Currently it looks like MediaCoder is the best out there, if I could get CUDA H264, and would be very willing to donate

Nige
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Nige » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi.

I don't mean to be patronising but the dropdown shown at the head of this thread is not the correct one for selecting the CUDA encoder. In order to get this, one must first select H.264 as the format then most importantly, remaining on the "Video" tab, go to the bottom-most rectangle named [Encoder] and uncheck the "Auto" checkbox and use this dropdown (set by default to x264 and normally greyed out) to select "CUDA Encoder". At this point the right hand pane should automatically change to CUDA and the NVIDIA logo should become visible.

FTR I have been installing and uninstalling in and effort to sort out a different problem and just observed the x64 "Full package" r4582 has reported back that "CUDA is not distributed with this version". At the time of writing the x64 version has become buggy with earlier than 4582 reporting the CUDA component is out of date and needs updating, and later versions refuse to transcode at all. The 32 bit version (as at r4582) seems to function mostly very well on my W7 x64 set-up.

I am eagerly awaiting the x64 version to work again as I would like to compare performance of 32/64 bit versions to see if there is any benefit to either version on a 64 bit OS.

Regards,

Nige.